Chapter 16

So, with the greatest reluctance I accepted Rs.10,000 from Sameer and used up all my savings too to buy a low-range Android phone. And now I can't seem to stop thinking of how loved I am every time I look at my new phone.

This may not be the best phone in the market but it is certainly the one carrying the most special love story with it. Sameer had so little yet he gave some for me like in The Gift Of The Magi. I will always remember this day as one of the happiest moments of my life.

Ever since I got onto the bus, I've been listening to John Legend's All Of Me. I've known this song for sometime but it was never one of my favorites until Sameer told me today it reminds him of me. He sent me the song's link a while ago, particularly highlighting this part of the lyrics,
"Cause all of me
Loves all of you
Love your curves and all your edges
All your perfect imperfections
Give your all to me
I'll give my all to you
You're my end and my beginning"

He loves my imperfections! How beautiful is that? Sameer's love is so sweet that it makes me cry.

It also gives me shortness of breath and chest tightness. It kept happening so much today that I Googled to check whether I am having a heart attack and whether I am going to die soon.

I mean, this is very much like a movie love story now and in movies shit always happens when things are going too well, right? So I have to be careful, isn't it? That's why I checked and thankfully it's not a heart attack. It's just something called 'happy heart syndrome' and nothing to worry about.

 It's just something called 'happy heart syndrome' and nothing to worry about

When I am about to get off the bus, mom calls me. Wait, how does she know I got a phone sorted? I didn't even tell Salima yet. Probably mom doesn't even remember my phone broke last night.

"Ilhaam, get into a three-wheeler and come straight to Mafaza aunty's house because I'm here" she says. Okay, the day was going good and now it's about to suck!

Mafaza aunty is another sister of my mom. She is one judgmental person and jealous too – jealous of any good happening to others, even if it is her own sister or nieces. She is brown-skinned and fat, but she comments nasty things about both skin tone and size of others.

I don't get along with her daughters either. The truth is, I've never liked any of them. The whole family is annoying!

It is understandable why mom tolerates with them because that's her sister's family. Wonder why Salima puts up with their bullshit too and acts pally with them.

I mean, it's a well-known fact that my big-mouthed aunty criticizes all of us behind our backs. For me, it's obviously about the way I look, how no one wants me in the marriage market and so on.

There is nothing negative that she could comment about Salima, so she often questions unnecessarily about my brother-in-law's job as if her daughters are married to billionaires.