Approach

The sound of Kylo's voice woke you from your comfortable sleep. You realized he was shaking and you struggled to escape the grasp of your much-needed sleep. You rubbed your eyes and tried to nudge him out of his vivid dream. No matter how much you poked him, he remained asleep. You had never seen him like this. Sure, he had the occasional bad dream, but this was scary. His body twitched and convulsed rapidly as you tried to wake him without being caught in the crossfire.

"No, come back. Please! Come back!"

Kylo's desperate plea chilled your bones. You grasped his bicep and shook it violently.

"Kylo, wake up. It's not real, it's just a dream."

Kylo woke with a gasp, shooting up as if his soul had just been thrust back into his body. His chest inflated and deflated rapidly as he stared at the wall with a look of worry on his face. Sweat ran down his chest and his arms still shook slightly while supporting his upper body weight. You sat up and placed your hand on top of his, trying to comfort him.

"It's okay, you're safe," you reassured him calmly.

His breathing slowed and muscles relaxed as he finally regained full awareness. He looked at you, the concern on his face still evident. Even in the darkness, you could tell his eyes were a lighter shade of brown than normal. A warm hazel hue replaced the dark brown pits you had grown used to.

"It... It seemed so real, I-" he blinked a few times as if trying to decide if he was still dreaming.

"What happened?" You turned your body to face him, squeezing his hand gently to indicate that you were, in fact, real.

"When the dream started I was standing in this large forest of red trees, I- I think it was Endor. I just stood there until I heard a noise. I turned to see what the noise was and it was a little girl. She was young, two maybe? She was very small and could barely walk but she was just casually using the force like it was no big deal. Making twigs float and throwing rocks an incredible distance..." He paused as if remembering the part of the dream that had been so devastating. "I was drawn to her, as if we had a connection, but..." He swallowed painfully. "Every time I tried to get close to her she ran away."

You listened intently, thinking if your dreams that had been eerily similar.

"What did she look like?"

"Her hair was black, just like mine but her nose..." he turned to face you, examining your features as a realization came to mind. "Her nose looked exactly like yours."

You plastered a confused look across your face. "I- I don't understand. She looked like us? That's not possible Kylo, you know I-" You broke eye contact with him as if it pained you too much to finish that sentence.

"I know," Kylo responded calmly. He blinked twice and his eyes returned to their usual dark brown. "It was probably just my mind playing tricks on me. Let's just go back to sleep."

You nodded and lay back down, burrowing your back into Kylo's chest. A few minutes later, Kylo's breathing fell into a deep cycle of sleep. You lay awake, thinking of every scenario in which the next month might play out. None of them were good.

///

"She has a concussion and some major head trauma that is keeping her in a coma."

You and Kylo stood in Lenna's room, listening to the doctor's update on Lenna.

"What about the baby?"

You tried to stay calm despite your intense feelings of fear and worry.

"The baby is still stable but I worry if Lenna stays asleep much longer, it will compromise the infants health."