Obliterate

You shifted uncomfortably in your heavy outfit as you surveyed yourself in the floor-length mirror. You wore a deep red dress with thick straps that hung off your shoulders. The front had a slit that spanned from your collarbone to the end of the corset-fitted portion, revealing most of your cleavage. The skirt flowed from the bodice to the floor, fanning around you in a wide circle.

"Are you sure it isn't too much? I feel like it's too much."

"I am sure, Your Majesty. You look absolutely gorgeous. Everyone will be staring at you tonight, especially Commander Ren," Elizabeth winked.

You sighed at the thought of seeing him today. Kylo had told you he wanted an answer by the end of the night but you still had no clue what you would say. You wanted to trust him, so why couldn't you?

"Did I say something wrong?"

You realized your expression was sour. You relaxed your jaw and gave her a small smile.

"No, you didn't. I'm just nervous is all."

You pulled the top upwards, trying your best to keep the cleavage at a minimum.

"You are going to be just fine," she offered kindly. "But we should hurry so you are not late."

Elizabeth touched up your makeup and pulled back stray hairs that had escaped your bun. She handed you a pair of long red gloves that matched the dress and you pulled them to your elbows. You knelt slightly as she placed a tiara with red and black jewels adorning it onto your head. The tiara made you feel like the queen that you were. You focused on calming your nerves until you had control of your emotions. Elizabeth ushered you out of your chambers and you strode towards the ballroom. Guests would begin arriving soon and you needed to be there to greet them. You stepped into the ballroom and made a silent sweep of the room to make sure everything looked good. You noticed Kylo standing in a corner, speaking with an officer. His back was turned to you so you snuck in and pretended to be busy arranging a table cloth in the opposite corner of the large room. You realized your attempt had been in vain as you heard his boots echoing on the floor as he stomped towards you. You pretended not to notice as you rearranged a food display but were ripped from your task as an arm wrapped around your waist and spun you around. Kylo's eyes raked over your features, pausing at the slit down your chest.

"Damn," he whispered almost imperceptibly.

"My eyes are up here," you snarked.

He darkened. "Who gave you permission to walk around like this?"

"I don't need permission," you shot back. "I am the only person in charge of me."

Flames shot through his eyes. "So is that your answer?"

You shook your head quickly and placed a hand on his crossed arms.

"You said that I had until the end of the night, so I will give you my answer then," you reassured.

"You still don't know?" Kylo's face became guarded as he pulled away from you.

"The end of the night," you dodged. "I will tell you when this stupid gala ends."

You pulled a few of his stray hair back into their place. He was wearing his normal attire without the cape and you noticed his shoes had been shined and his gloves looked new. You went to straighten his shirt but he pushed your hand away.

"I look fine," he muttered.

You forced your way past his hands and gently placed yours on his chest in order to flatten the wrinkles on his shirt.

"I'm just nervous, I guess."

"The Queen of Malachor and wife of the commander of the First Order is nervous?"