Depart

*Trigger Warning: There is blood in this chapter!*

Dinner had been delayed an hour so by the time you got to the dining room, you were starving. It had been a long day filled with military preparations, war tactic meetings, and intensive training. The second Kylo Ren's mysterious figure had left the atmosphere of Malachor your mother had begun phase 1 of defensive strategies: readiness. Guard duty was doubled, all women were put on alert, and all safe rooms were made ready in case of an attack.

You sat across from your mother who was struggling to keep the worry lines from staying etched on her face. A maid came in to bring more drinks for you and your mother. Your mother raised an eyebrow and turned her shoulders to face the woman.

"Are you new?" A strange question for mother to ask but she was right, you had never seen this maid before.

"Oh no my queen." the girl's face had whitened, obviously nervous. "I normally work in the kitchen or with the seamstress but your regular maid was sick so I filled in for her."

Your mother raised an eyebrow but then waved her hand, excusing the maid from the room. You chuckled lightly. "Mother you are so on edge. Calm down."

She stared at you fiercely then replied, "one can never be too careful my child." She examined her food. "I-" she struggled to formulate her thoughts. "There is so much I have yet to teach you yet I fear we haven't enough time. I... I want you to know that I believe you will be a wonderful queen someday. You have the potential to bring everlasting peace not just to Malachor, but to the galaxy. Your power is greater than you know." Having said what she needed to she quickly downed her drink and dug into the pot roast in front of her.

You were shocked at what she had said. Affection of any kind was frowned upon in Malachor, and your mother had shown it twice in one week. You finished your meal and stood to walk out of the hall with your mother. As she began walking toward the large double doors that led out of the dining hall, she stopped grabbing onto the dining table, trying to steady her suddenly shaky self.

You turned, "mother are you ok?"

The queen tried to speak but she could not. Suddenly she fell to the floor. You rushed over pulling her into your arms. She was shaking violently. She began coughing harshly into her hands and you panicked.

"Someone please help!"

You yelled and screamed until a few warriors entered the room rushing to assess the situation, but by then it was too late. You held your mother's hands as you rocked her lifeless body in shock. You stared into her cold, dead eyes. Your mind searched to find any sign of life but you knew it was pointless. Your mother was gone. After much encouragement, you lay your mother on the ground, closing her eyes and allowing the warriors to take her away. You realized your hands were clammy and went to wipe them on your dress but then you saw it: the blood. A wave of deja vu attacked your brain as you realized, doubling over. You had seen this happening and yet, you couldn't prevent it.

///

The next week passed in a blur. Much of the time you spent staring at the ceiling in your room. Your mother's funeral had been beautiful. It was customary for women on Malachor who had bled while dying to have more elaborate funerals. Her body was burned out of respect, and her ashes scattered in the garden of ancestors. The traditional week of mourning was almost over, bringing your worst fear to light: you were the queen. Of course, the coronation would not occur until tomorrow, but the fact still remained. Your mother's last words rang in your head like a reminder, "Your power is greater than you know". You could not mess up. You could not let your mother down. You pulled yourself out of bed and walked to the meeting room. It was time for you to prepare your speech. You sat and wrote for what seemed like hours, struggling to find the words for what you wanted to say. Your eyes drooped from the little sleep you had gotten this week and you finally closed your eyes, falling into a deep sleep that you had gone without since before your mother died.

You saw nothing but black in your dream. You walked through your dreamscape enjoying the silence. Suddenly a familiar face appeared. You struggled to identify through the blurriness but as you neared you realized it was the face of Kylo Ren. Words came out of his mouth but they were not his own, they were your mothers: "Be ready".

You awoke with a jolt and realized that the sun was streaming through the windows. You hadn't meant to fall asleep. You rushed to your room finding your frantic maid.

"Your majesty I was so worried! We must hurry! You wouldn't want to be late for your own coronation!"

You sighed and nodded, bracing yourself for the day to come. It was time to become Queen.