5.12

*unedited*

After the thirty minutes were up and they were done kissing, Hou Feng went to make sure all the prisoners were settled and the guards did their duties before leading Sun Hui to the records room.

"You know, I always wondered. If you aren't exactly the best warden, why did you even bother to become one? You don't seem to really care about the inmates," Sun Hui asked.

Hou Feng let out a contemplative grunt before answering, "I didn't have a choice."

"What do you mean?" Sun Hui blinked.

"My parents were wardens before me. They met through a transfer of a prisoner between their prisons. As a child and their only son, they made sure I was set on that path. I never had any personal interest in the inmates so I never bothered...though I suppose that does make me a bad warden, doesn't it? Ever since you told me I was doing wrong, I've felt an urge to actually start caring. Perhaps it was you, or maybe something else. But lately I've been feeling...forced a lot. I feel like I need to do something to change that and I will finally be at rest, and for some reason caring seems like the answer. Fixing all of this," he gestured around him, "will somehow give me that purpose I'm looking for. Or, I'm just hanging around with you and Lu Jian too much and it's rubbing off on me."

Lu Jian and Hou Feng worked more closely together now because Xu Shen was his cell mate.

But Sun Hui had a theory it wasn't them. Could it be his husband trying to poke through? Can he sense he was thrown into a role and not his own body?

He opened the metal door to the records room and ushered Sun Hui inside. He then went straight to a bookshelf and pulled out a specific file box. Placing it on a desk, he then pulled out a record. Obviously, he was very well accustomed to this room and its contents.

"This is everything about the case. And everything about Wu Gang. He's been accused before but every time he was able to have an alibi and was crossed from the suspect list. Some of these accusations are with drugs, trafficking, and even a few accounts of rape. My guess is he is apart of some criminal organization, or at least works with them sometimes for defense in court if needed and as payment for his drug deals. The party might've been held by the organization."

"I didn't know..." he could hear his voice crack. Some of Yang Bo's emotions were overwhelming him as a few tears streaked down his face. He felt betrayed even though he already knew his crimes.

Hou Feng remained expressionless, "You're too innocent, easy prey. If any of this is true, then you're the perfect target he needed for his getaway. I bet you weren't even the first person he used. Someone like him doesn't do this for a one time thing, he does this as a disgusting hobby. Practically the standard abusive boyfriend. He didn't deserve someone like you."

The last bit ended on a snarl. Sun Hui was grateful Hou Feng wasn't acting irrationally out of jealousy. He saw Wu Gang as a low life scum rather than a rival. Though, the slight tinge of jealousy he still showed was appreciated as well.

"I can have people I know reopen the case and look more closely at Wu Gang and whatever group he is in. Maybe we will find something we can use against him, take the whole organization out from the inside, and not have to worry about anyone trying to get them out as well as them anymore," Hou Feng listed. "I can contact an investigator now on a favor he owes me, and maybe...talk to Xu Shen to see if he has any ideas about the organization."

He mentioned Xu Shen's name with a sour taste in his mouth. It was almost as if it was difficult saying that. Sun Hui knew he saw Xu Shen as a rival for being his cell mate and the one who got in trouble with him. He wondered if he would still see him as a rival if he remembered. At the very least, he would just see him as an annoying pest as always, but not a rival. He wondered how the dynamic between the two brother gods was.