XXXXV• Seperated

Regulus walked over the threshold of their home.

His home.

He had baby Kayla held against his chest; she was still small enough for him to hold her with one arm. Kayla had fallen asleep on their short walk home, some would argue that she only calmed down when Regulus took her from Kristen, who had cared for the infant throughout Cecilia's funeral.

Cecilia's funeral. Regulus still couldn't believe it. The love of his life, the mother of his child, his other half, was gone. Regulus had cried more in the last few days than in his entire life but now, as he entered the deafeningly silent house, Regulus felt nothing but numbness.

After putting Kayla into her bed, Regulus grabbed a bottle of fire whisky and threw himself into one of the chairs at the dining table. He drank in silence, the alcohol warming his cold insides.

"Kreacher?" Regulus asked, voice rough, when his eyes landed on the house elf. "What happened to you?"

The house elf looked horrible, more so than usual. His wrinkled skin was hanging from his body and his eyes looked far to large for his face. From where he was seated, Regulus could hear the creatures shallow breaths and see how he struggled to stay upright.

"Master Regulus mustn't worry," Kreacher croaked, trying to smile but only managing a grimace. "Kreacher will be alright-"

"Kreacher," Regulus retorted. "I demand to know what happened to you."

The elf sighed, unable to deny an order from his master. "As master Regulus knows, Kreacher was chosen to do a task for the Dark Lord. Kreacher is honoured, sir, but the task hurt Kreacher."

Regulus eyed his house elf, his most loyal companion that has been by his side for his entire life. "What did the Dark Lord order for you to do, Kreacher?"

The House Elf shivered and hugged himself tightly, his tiny arms looking bonier than usual. "The Dark Lord wanted to check on something, a Horcrux I believe it was called. A potion needed to be drunk, a potion that made the drink relive horrible things-"

Kreacher squeaked and collapsed to the floor, rolling back and forth with his large head clasped between his hands. Regulus dived to the floor, holding the house elf close.

Regulus had never been an incredibly loyal follower to Lord Voldemort. He only joined because of his family, to show them that Orion and Walburga could raise a proper son, and not a disgrace, as they describe Sirius. Something changed in Regulus at that moment, perhaps it was because of Cecilia's death, or maybe it was the alcohol in his system. Or maybe it was because of Kreacher, an innocent creature that had been traumatised by a task the dark lord had set.

"Prepare to depart, Kreacher," Regulus said, speaking with no emotion in his voice. "I'll go fetch Kayla."

The house elf showed no objection and Regulus raced to Kayla's room, picking up the sleeping infant. Once back in the kitchen, Regulus took out a quill and parchment and started writing. When he finished, he stuck the note in his pocket, wiping his eyes dry.

Regulus told Kreacher their destination and although surprised, the elf didn't comment. Holding Kayla in his left arm and Kreacher's hand in his right, they disappearated.

They landed infront of a little cottage Regulus didn't recognise, but he trusted Kreacher had brought him to the right place.

After telling Kreacher to stay where he was, Regulus approached the door and after taking a few depp breaths, he knocked on the wood twice.

They seemed to be no movement insider the house and Regulus almost felt relieved. Perhaps it was a mistake coming here, he could leave now and forget it ever happened-

"Hel- oh Regulus?" Remus Lupin said once he opened the door. It was obvious by his facial expression that the man was not expecting to see Regulus standing on the doorstep. He eyed the infant in Regulus' arms before speaking again. "Um- what can I do for you?"

"I'm here for Sirius," Regulus muttered grimly.

Remus nodded after a second of hesitation and disappeared back into the house. Regulus stood awkwardly on the front porch, rocking Kayla back and forth.

"Regulus?" Came the voice of Sirius Black. Regulus looked in the eyes of his brother for a moment, so similar to his but so different at the same time. Sirius' eyes looked happier, for a start.

"Hi," Regulus breathed. He wanted to smile, but couldn't for some reason. "I-um-need a favour."

"You need a favour?" Sirius repeated, leaning against the doorframe and crossing his arms across his chest defensively. "We haven't spoken in a good few years, Reg. But why am I not surprised you only come to see me when you need help? Don't tell me mother and father kicked you out, I would've believe you. You're their golden boy, aren't you?"

"Sirius," came the voice of Remus Lupin. Regulus couldn't see the man, but was glad he knew their conversation was being overheard. Sirius looked back at his friend and sighed.

"I need someone to take Kayla," Regulus blurted out.

Sirius raised an eyebrow. "For how long?"

"I don't know," Regulus said defeated.

"You don't know?" Sirius mocked. "So you plan on dumping your child here, a child I didn't even know existed until now. Who's the godfather, surely he should take the kid."

Regulus paused. He had wanted Sirius to be Kayla's godfather, but he couldn't find the courage to ask. Perhaps that was why Sirius was a Gryffindor and Regulus a Slytherin, and why Sirius managed to escape their suffocating parents while Regulus stayed home.

"I-um-" Regulus began but Sirius cut him off.

"Save it, you'd think you'd let your own brother know when he became an uncle," Sirius tutted. "Who's the godmother?"

"Narcissa."

"Go to her then," Sirius said and went to close the door.

"Here Regulus," Remus appeared, holding his arms out. "I'll take... him? Her?"

"Her," Regulus said. "Kayla."

Sirius was muttered furiously in Remus' ear, but the latter took Kayla from Regulus. The infant didn't stir, and Regulus felt a pang of disappointment. A part of him wanted Kayla to awake as soon as she left her fathers arms, to scream and cry until Regulus took her back. But he knew it was easier this way, Kayla would wake up in a few hours and she would be fine.

"Thank you," Regulus breathed, his eyes focused on the little bundle in Remus' arms, the only bit of Cecilia he had left. He turned to leave but Remus spoke again.

"Regulus," Remus said making the owner of the name stop and turned around. "We heard about Cecilia. We're really sorry."

Regulus caught the look on Sirius face. He was completely shocked and guilt covered his features, as if he had forgotten Regulus had lost the most important thing in his life. Regulus gave a curt nod and walked away from the house.

"Alright Kreacher," Regulus spoke once he reached the elf, his voice unnaturally high. "Take me to the place the Dark Lord took you."

The house elf visibly gulped and took his master's hand, and they were gone in the blink of an eye.