XXXVII• Not Well

Regulus didn't worry often, but he was worried now.

Cecilia was still ill, her fever and mood swings sticking to her like glue. But Cecilia was stubborn and wouldn't let Regulus baby her; she wouldn't admit that she wasn't feeling 100%

"I think the crib should go here," Cecilia said, pointing the the wall beside the door. "So we can see the baby when the doors open."

"Ok. And we can put the wardrobe by the window," Regulus suggested.

Cecilia tutted. "No that's where the rocking chair is going," she said. "We'll put the wardrobe behind the door."

Regulus adverted his eyes to Cecilia. He noticed how pale she looked, and that she was leaning against the wall a lot.

"You look unwell, Lia," Regulus said softly. He moved to stand beside her, holding onto her elbow gently. "Maybe you should get some rest."

"I can't," Cecilia exclaimed. She threw her hands up into the air, making Regulus have to let go of her arm. "The baby will be here in two months and the nursery is no where near finished!"

Regulus grabbed a hold of her waist when Cecilia began to sway on her feet. "You're stressed, and stress won't do the baby any good," he smiled sweetly. "Go take a quick nap. Kristen and Dirk will be here for dinner in a few hours."

Cecilia looked around the room. "But the nursery-"

"Will be dealt with by me," Regulus said. "White furniture and yellow walls, since we don't know the gender yet. I've got it Lia."

Cecilia gave him a genuine smile and placed her head on his shoulder, in something like a hug. Regulus kissed her forehead before allowing her to slowly leave the room.

The decorated arrived a few minute late later, and Regulus gave all Cecilia's directions perfectly and the meeting ended quickly.

Regulus gently creaked open the door to the bedroom, peaking his head in. Cecilia was fast asleep, her stomach rising and falling slowly. Regulus smiled and shut the door again, not wanting to disturb her.

Back in the kitchen, Regulus called for Kreacher, and the house elf appeared almost instantly. Although Kreacher was loyal to the entire Black family, he had a special loyalty to Regulus. Regulus treated the elf like an actual living being, not like the servant his parents saw him as.

"Hello Kreacher," Regulus smiled at the middle-aged elf. "I've guests coming for dinner in an hour. Can you help me prepare?"

"I'll take care of it Master Regulus," Kreacher croaked. Regulus shook his head and insisted on helping.

With two pairs of hands at work, dinner was prepared and severed with 5 minutes to spare. Regulus thanked the elf gratefully before Kreacher left for Grimmauld Place.

"Regulus!" Kristen exclaimed once the front door had been opened. The blonde girl threw her arms around Regulus' shoulders and hugged him tight. Afterwards, Regulus gave Dirk a friendly hug.

"House's looking good Reg," Dirk commented. "But I doubt you did the decorating."

Dirk had been talking about the starry sky that Cecilia had insisted on painting on the roof of the porch. Regulus rolled his eyes with a smile, nodding his head. "Make yourselves at home. I'll go see where Lia is."

After taking Kristen's bag and coat and hanging them in the hall, Regulus jogged up the stairs. He pushed open the bedroom door and was met by a worried looking Cecilia.

"I didn't mean to sleep for as long!" Cecilia cried as she dashed around the room. "Are they here? I'm not ready, I'm so stupid-"

"Take a breath Lia," Regulus told her gently. "Yes, Dirk and Kristen are here, but dinner isn't even ready yet," he lied smoothly. "Take your time."

She still looked pale, but used her foundation to cover it up. Regulus watched her for a few seconds, before leaving the room.

"Everything ok Reg?" Dirk asked as Regulus reentered the kitchen. Regulus responded by sighing and running his fingers through his hair.

"I'm worried," he stated curtly.

Kristen smiled softly. "I'm sure all new dads feel that why, Regulus. It's totally normal to be afraid-"

"Not about the baby," Regulus said quickly. "About Lia. She doesn't look well."

"Well?" Dirk repeated in a questioning tone.

Regulus nodded and hid his face in his hands. "She has this fever, she's pale and weak," he said, his voice slightly muffled by his hands. "She refuses to see a doctor. Not even for a checkup."

"She's sick?" Kristen gasped.

"Seems like it," Regulus responded sadly.

Their conversation was cut short by Cecilia bursting into the room, a big smile on her face. But since her eyes were droopy and her movements slow, Regulus knew she wasn't showing how she was truly feeling.