XXXV• Final Days

The week after the NEWTs flew by alarmingly fast. The days melted into each other, each one as carefree as the previous. Cecilia spent the days hanging around the castle with Kristen, Dirk and Regulus, taking advantage of her last few days at Hogwarts.

"I can't believe tonight's our last Hogwarts feast," Kristen said as she and Cecilia began placing items into their respective trunks.

"I don't want to think about it," Cecilia sighed. "We've been here for seven years, and now it's all over."

Silence settled, both friends distracted by their owns thoughts. After an hour passed, and neither girl even close to finished packing, Cecilia and Kristen decided to head down to the Great Hall for dinner. Cecilia pulled on a jumper of Regulus' to hide her stomach. It was baggy, but not enough so to raise suspicion.

The two friends were greeted by an extra table in the Great Hall. Decorated with a purple tablecloth, the fifth table was beautifully set out for all seventh years to dine together one last time.

Cecilia and Kristen day next to Regulus and Dirk, the former smiling at his girlfriend's outfit choice.

Once the majority of the students were seated, Dumbeldore stood from his chair with his arms raised. "Before the feast begins, I would like to say a few words."

Cecilia readjusted her position to divert all of her attention onto the headmaster.

"As you all know, today is our last evening meal before we separate for the summer months," Dumbledore smiled. "Most of you will be returning to this castle once September comes around again, but some of you, won't be."

Just hearing those words made Cecilia's throat tighten. She didn't want to believe it.

Dumbeldore looked down at all the seventh years, who's table was directly below the staff's one. "Tonight is the last feast for our seventh years, for they will not be returning to Hogwarts once the Autumn arrives. They'll be leaving their childhoods behind and facing the real world."

Cecilia heard Kristen swear from beside her as the blonde hid her face in her hands. Dirk rubbed her back soothingly.

"I've watched these students grow up, guided them with the help of my fellow staff members and I must say, I'll be quite upset to see them leave."

A single tear rolled down Cecilia's cheek but she quickly wiped it away. But by the smiles Dumbledore sent her, Cecilia knew he saw it.

"Now I hope you all enjoy your summers," Dumbledore said. "Dig in!"

Upon Dumbledore's words, food filled the tables. Cecilia began to fill her plate with food, but couldn't seem to get herself to eat any.

"What's up Lia?" Regulus asked when he noticed the melancholic look her his girlfriend's face. "You got to eat."

"I'm not hungry," Cecilia whispered.

Regulus covered Cecilia's small hand with his own and leaned close to her so only she could hear his words. "Talk to me."

"I just can't believe it's over," Cecilia cried quietly. "Hogwarts. Everything I want and need is in this castle."

Regulus smiled sadly, giving her hand a squeeze. "It'll be weird leaving, I agree. But it's kind of like our lives are finally beginning. Sure, Hogwarts was great, but there is so much more to life than it."

Cecilia was now a few months pregnant, and she liked to believe it was the hormones making her so emotion. But deep down she knew it wasn't, leaving Hogwarts would be one of the strangest things she would ever do.

Cecilia nodded. "You're right. I'm being silly," she said, but she really believed she wasn't.

"You're not," Regulus chuckled. "Now eat your dinner. There's two of you to feed now, remember?"

❖ ❖ ❖

Cecilia had to sit on her trunk to get it closed the next morning, because she had collected too many souvenirs from her time at Hogwarts.  Objects such as books she had promised to read but never did and shoes she had found in the back of her wardrobe, forgotten, would not be left behind on Cecilia's watch.

"I never realised how much stuff I had," Cecilia grumbled as she finally got her trunk closed.

"That's because you don't throw stuff out," Kristen pointed out. "You don't use half of that stuff."

Cecilia shrugged. "I'm a sucker for memories."

The two friends used magic to get their trunks down to the entrance hall, not even bothering to try and lift them. All seventh years were told the previous evening to leave their trunks in the entrance hall and make their way down to the Black Lake.

"I wonder what's going to happen down at the lake," Kristen commented as they left the warmth of the castle and stepping onto the dewy grass.

"I bet they're going to drown us," Dirk said, who had appeared beside Kristen. "Dumbledore said he doesn't want us to leave, so they'll drown us and we'll be forced to stay here as ghosts."

"You're so humorous," Kristen said sarcastically, ruffling Dirk's hair. "Truly. I may die of laughter."

Cecilia chuckled at this interaction before feeling an arm wrap itself around her waist. She felt a kiss on her shoulder and didn't even have to check to know it was Regulus.

"Sleep well?" Regulus asked as the lake came into view.

Cecilia hummed in response, kissing his lips. "I was kind of glad to leave that dorm," she admitted. "It has a funny smell."

"Oh that's because of that chocolate frog fight we had in fifth year," Kristen told her. "I found some gone-off chocolate frogs behind the wardrobe."

"I didn't think chocolate could go off," Regulus commented.

"I guess if you leave it for two years it can," Cecilia chuckled along with Kristen.

They had reached the lake's edge at this point, as did many other seventh year students. A flurry of wooden boats were floating along the shore and a few students were already climbing into them.

"We're sailing across the lake like we did when we first got here," Regulus breathed. "We've come full circle."

"Well let's go before I break down... again," Kristen laughed, pushing through the crowd to grab a boat.

It was quite difficult to get four 17 year olds into one small boat. It was quite a squeeze, with a few almost capsizes, but they managed. The water was fairly still, making Dirk's attempts to roll the boat over fairly unsuccessful.

They reached the other side of the lake, Regulus helping Cecilia out of the boat and onto the ground of Hogsmede village. As they made their way to the station, Cecilia couldn't help but turn and give the castle a huge wave as if she was saying goodbye to a good friend, because, in her mind, she was.

"Goodbye Hogwarts!"