XII• The Mark

Cecilia's fight with Kimberley Stuart gained many mixed reactions from the population of Hogwarts.

Of course the teachers weren't happy with her. She received even more disappointed looks from Slughorn than usual and twice as much homework from other professors. Her opinion of the Potions master worsened; he had been gossiping about Cecilia to the other teachers.

The students of Hogwarts, however, showed a variety of opinions to the news. All those in the Slytherin house glared at her any chance they got, except for Dirk who found the whole situation hilarious. Regulus didn't say anything to her.

The Gryffindors were so cheerful, Cecilia was surprised they didn't throw a party in the common room. When Cecilia told Kristen about the fight, the girl left her immediately afterwards and returned with two bottles of fire whiskey. To say Kristen was proud was an understatement.

Cecilia wasn't approached by anyone from Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff but some students from the two houses sent her more smiles than usual. Cecilia could tell most students weren't too fond of Kimberley.

After the drama of the fight had died down, Cecilia was back to her previous issue: Regulus and his isolation tactic. Cecilia tried to figure out the best time to approach him but he seemed to always be surrounded by a crowd whenever she saw him. It was as if he was trying to hide from her.

She finally found her chance at the end of June. Summer break was nearing rapidly; this was Cecilia's last opportunity.

Astronomy class was about to end. When the bell rang, everybody filed out quickly, wanting to get back to their beds as quickly as possible. Professor Sinistra was speaking to Regulus as she tidied up her things, so Cecilia took her time gathering her books together.

When the professor left, Regulus looked around the room. Upon realizing that it was only him and Cecilia left in the room, he made for the door hastily.

'Regulus, wait.' Cecilia stood in front of him, blocking the door and Regulus' only exit.

Regulus avoided her eyes, looking anywhere else. Cecilia noticed how tired he looked. His floppy hair couldn't hide the bags under his eyes.

'Are you ok?' Cecilia asked softly. When Regulus didn't reply, she spoke again. 'You've been ignoring me.'

Thankfully, her statement got a reaction from Regulus. He took his bottom lip between his teeth and shook his head slowly and sadly. 'I'm sorry.' He whispered.

Cecilia's eyebrows furrowed in concern. 'But why? Did I do something or-?'

'You didn't do anything,' Regulus said. He loosened his green and silver tie, as if it was bringing him discomfort. 'We just can't be together.'

'Why not?' Cecilia asked longingly. 'I thought our date went great. You enjoyed it too! You were smiling and laughing. Were you faking everything?!'

'I wasn't faking it!' Regulus burst out. His head snapped up and he made eye contact with Cecilia. He must of regretted it as he looked down again almost instantly.

'Then why?'

Regulus didn't say anything to her. He made to walk around her to the door but Cecilia stopped him.

'Regulus please.' Cecilia pleaded. She placed her hand on his forearm, hoping to bring Regulus some sort of comfort.

She seemed to do the complete opposite. Regulus jumped away from her, hissing in pain. His sleeve had risen up. He quickly pulled it back down but before he did, Cecilia caught a glimpse of something dark green. It looked like a bruise almost.

'What's that?' She asked. She moved towards him. 'Regulus?'

'Nothing,' Regulus stammered as he backed away from her again. 'It's nothing.'

'Reg-'

Regulus shot past her, out of the astronomy tower and down the steps. Cecilia stayed where she was, in complete shock.

The thing on his arm; Even though she only saw it for a split second, Cecilia knew exactly what it was.

Regulus had the Dark Mark. Regulus was a Death Eater.