XXXIX• Pride

Regulus had felt pride before. When his eleven year old self received a Hogwarts acceptation letter he was proud. All the times Slytherin won a Quidditch match he was proud. Honestly, even when Sirius stood up to their predjuice parents and left their home forever, although minor, Regulus was proud. But no event in his life made him anywhere near as proud as he was at this moment.

Cecilia and Regulus' baby girl was born at around 1 in the morning, tiny and blue, having been born a month too early. The new mother was pale and sweating, but smiling brightly with tears in her brown eyes. Regulus stayed by her side, holding her hand tightly while Cecilia gazed into her daughter's eyes, which were light like her fathers.

"You should tell Kristen and Dirk," Cecilia whispered. It almost looked like she was telling the baby to do this, since she didn't take her eyes off the little bundle. But she squeezed Regulus' hand twice, making him aware she was speaking to him. "And the godparents."

"It's one o'clock in the morning," Regulus chuckled. Cecilia's hand left his and tighten the blanket around the baby's body to keep her warm. "But I'll send them a letter."

After planting a kiss on Cecilia's forehead, Regulus left the room. He grinned at the healer on his way; the healer smiled back and went to check up on Cecilia.

Regulus took his time writing the letter, wanting to break the news in the best way. He wrote to Dirk first, very excited to tell his best friend the news. Kristen and Narcissa's letters were pretty similar, since Regulus saw the two girls as almost his sisters. He ended each letter inviting them over for lunch.

On his fourth and final piece of parchment, Regulus hesitated. He had already addressed the letter to Sirius, who Regulus assumed would be somewhere in Godric's Hollow with James and Lily Potter. Regulus hadn't spoken to his brother since Sirius left Hogwarts, so the oldest Black had no idea he was required to be a godfather. Regulus suddenly realized that Sirius probably didn't even know Cecilia was pregnant.

Regulus ended up scrunching up that piece of parchment and only sending three letters off with the owl. He also called Kreacher and told him the news. The House-Elf became cheerful once he heard the news, congratulating 'Master Regulus' profusely. Regulus then sent him home to pass the message onto his parents.

Regulus made his way back up to the bedroom, smiling to himself. He met the healer at the door, who had an expressionless look on her face.

"Everything alright Alice?" Regulus asked. His face fell when she glanced back at the door while shaking her head. "What's wrong? Is Cecilia okay?"

The healer nodded her head quickly. "Yes. Right now anyway."

Regulus raised his eyebrows, all color draining from his face. "What do you mean right now anyway ?"

"Don't you see how pale she is? Or how much she's sweating?"

"Isn't that normal?" Regulus panicked. "I mean, she's just given birth-"

"Her temperature is through the roof and she's shivering like it's the middle of winter," the healer rushed. "She's ill, Mr Black. And it seems like this has been going on for a while."

Regulus felt threatened under the healers maternal stare. "I tried to get her to go to a doctor but she's as stubborn as a mule."

The healer nodded and looked towards the room again. "Like her father," she said. No words are spoken for a few seconds and this makes Regulus believe that the conversation has ended. He moved to pushed the bedroom door open, but the healer speaks again and stops him. "I fear no type of medicine will work. It might be too late."

"We're wizards," Regulus chuckled bitterly.

"Magic can't solve everything, Mr. Black," the healer told him. She then put her professional front back on. "The baby seems to be happy and in full health. Send me an owl if something worrying happens."

After sending him another expressionless look, the healer walked down the stairs and Regulus heard the front door shut. He took a few deep breaths before plastering a smile onto his face and rejoining Cecilia and the baby in the bedroom.

A/N
I've always had an idea for the baby's name but I'd love if you guys could help. Give me suggestions!

Also :(