XXXXIV• Black Suits

The following day, Kristen walked up to the front door of Cecilia and Regulus' home; well, Regulus' home. Dirk was already standing by the still newly painted door. He gave Kristen a soft smile and reached for her when she got close enough. Kristen sighed into the hug, Dirk's heartbeat soothing her but she still felt on edge. They were both dressed in black; Dirk in a suit and Kristen in a dress that reached her knees.

Without speaking any words, the pair turned towards the door and Dirk knocked trice. There was no movement within the house, so Dirk knocked again. No answer.

Kristen hesitantly reached out and pulled at the door handle. The door swung open and Kristen shared a surprised look with Dirk; the door wasn't usually left unlocked.

As soon as they entered the house and shut the door behind them, the sound of a crying baby floated into the ears of the pair. They wandered further into the house and found Regulus sitting at the kitchen counter, having seemingly not heard they come in.

"I'll go find Kayla," Kristen said to Dirk before disappearing up the staircase. Dirk approached Regulus and patted him on the shoulder gently, to let him know he was there.

"Hey Reg," Dirk said. He didn't get a response, which worried him. Dirk's eyes scanned the room, landing on the house elf that was cleaning the kitchen counter. "Does Kreacher live here now then?"

Regulus didn't respond which made Dirk sigh heavily. "Come on mate. You know what day it is," Dirk said, patting Regulus' shoulder again. "I left your suit in your wardrobe, remember? Go put it on and then we'll get going, alright?"

Regulus didn't move for so long that Dirk feared he'd have to drag his friend out of the house. Regulus eventually stood from his chair and left the kitchen without giving Dirk a second glance. Dirk ran his hands through his hair just as Kristen entered the kitchen.

"I'm not sure what's wrong with her," Kristen whispered, rocking Kayla in her arms. The infant wasn't crying as much as she was before, but was still visibly upset. Kristen had dressed her in a little navy dress.

"She hasn't been getting much attention, I'd say," Dirk commented. He looked towards the door that Regulus had walked through a few moments ago. "Poor bloke. He's heartbroken."

"I know," Kristen sighed. "But poor Kayla. She can't stay here and be neglected like this."

Regulus came back into the room at that moment. Kristen and Dirk shared a concerned look, but Regulus showed no sign of having heard their conversation. He was dressed in his black suit, with an untidy matching tie.

Dirk approached the widower and fixed his tie, noticing that Regulus couldn't seem to look his best friend in the eye. "Listen bud," Dirk said, finishing with the tie and brushing little bits of lint from Regulus' shoulders. "I know this is going to be hard, but you'll get through it. Kristen and I are here to help."

"You can count on us Reg," Kristen added. "We're here, for you and for little Kayla."

Regulus nodded silently and the group left the house, mentally preparing themselves for the funeral of Cecilia Gryffindor.