XXXX• Why Not?

Neither Cecilia nor Regulus slept another wink that night, not that either of them needed to. The birth of their daughter, Kayla, seemed to have injected them with an unlimited supply of energy and they spent the early hours of the morning enjoying the company of little Kayla. Once 10 a.m arrived, Regulus encouraged Cecilia to get an hour or two of sleep before their guests arrived for lunch. Although not wanting to at first, Cecilia agreed and allowed exhaustion to take over her body as Regulus brought Kayla downstairs. 

Kayla was so small that Regulus could hold her in one arm , but he reframed from doing so in fears of somehow hurting the tiny human. A white knitted blanket hid Kayla's little limbs and a yellow hat covered her head and ears. Regulus decided to give her a very detailed tour of the house, showing off each notch and cranny and the memories they held. Kayla stayed focused on her father the entire time, her eyes big and similar to his, but bluer. Their tour ended in the living room with Regulus sharing the hundreds of hours he and Cecilia spent watching movies there.

"You look like her," Regulus whispered as he settled himself and Kayla on the sofa. The infant's eyes fluttered closed and Regulus sighed. His fingers graced her cheeks and temple and his lips quirked into a smile. "You've her nose, and her chin. But you don't have her incredible eyes, you've mine."

Regulus sat with Kayla for over an hour, but the time flew by like seconds. The only thing Regulus felt was peace as the only thing heard in the otherwise silent room was Kayla's soft snores. Regulus rocked her gently side to side to keep her asleep; she looked too calm to wake. 

Noon was fast approaching so Regulus made his way into the kitchen just as Cecilia walked down the stairs, looking cheerful and refreshed. She gave Regulus a kiss before taking Kayla from him. Regulus admired his two favorite girls before beginning to prepare lunch. 

Kristen and Dirk arrived before lunch was ready, way to excited to see Cecilia and the new baby. Kristen had squealed once Regulus had opened the door, sprinting passed him in search of her best friend. Dirk's eyes followed the blonde in amusement before he hugged his best mate tightly, sharing his congrats. 

"Kayla Dawn. Isn't that the sweetest thing?" Kristen asked once Dirk and Regulus joined the two girls in the living room. She swayed gently with the infant. "I suppose using our initials makes up for the fact that this child isn't called Kristen or Dirk."

Regulus rolled his eyes at her sarcasm and watched as Dirk stood beside Kristen and greeted Kayla brightly. Regulus noticed how much like a family they looked.

Lunch went fantastically well, with Kayla being the center of attention. Narcissa, the godmother, joined them for the meal. It was quite strange at first since Narcissa was a very passionate Slytherin with Cecilia and Kristen as Gryffindors, but soon enough they were all chatting like a family. In a way, they were. Kayla had brought them all together. 

"Where was Sirius?" Cecilia asked Regulus as they cleaned up after their guests had left. "I thought you had asked him to be godfather to Kayla?"

Regulus sighed and glanced over at Kayla, who was fast asleep in a makeshift cot on the kitchen table. "He couldn't make it," he lied smoothly. He wasn't sure why he was lying; maybe it was because a part of him wasn't ready to contact his brother again. Cecilia bought the lie, and went back upstairs with Kayla in her arms.

Once the kitchen was clean, Regulus followed Cecilia up the staircase. He found her in the nursery, leaning against the white crib, in which Kayla's small body was sound asleep. Regulus approached her slowly. Cecilia must have heard him at some point since she didn't jump when he placed his hands on her bare arms. Regulus let out a satisfied breath and kissed Cecilia's shoulder trice.

"I can't believe it," Cecilia whispered, still looking down on her daughter, the second love of her life. "Who would've thought. We've gone from a secret Gryffindor and Slytherin relationship to this. A family."

Regulus' arm wrapped themselves around Cecilia's waist and Regulus smiled as Cecilia pressed her back into him. "We're not quite a family yet, Lia."

Cecilia turned her head to look at Regulus. "What do you mean?"

"I think we should get married."

Cecilia scoffed and looked back at the sleeping Kayla again. "We've just had a baby, Reg. That's an awful lot of excitement for a while."

Regulus pecked her neck. "I think that's why we should get married. There's no point in delaying it. I love you more than anything, so what are we waiting for?"

Cecilia didn't answer for a few seconds. The silence was so long that Regulus feared he had upset her. His worries ceased when Cecilia lifted her hand to caress his check. 

"Okay. Let's do it." Regulus could see her smiling in his mind. "But you're not getting away with not buying me a ring."