The Chaotic Core

Back at the Big Top, Cross could sense seething annoyance, anger, and wariness. It wasn't from him or Nightmare. Not yet, at least. The annoyance started to leak from Nightmare too as they heard the hatch open. They were both still under the Ring.

"U-U-Unless you want m-m-me to crush you, g-g-g-get out of there!" Error's annoyed, glitching voice sounded. He stuck his head down to glare at them and the cold anger that came off of him made Cross' breathing stutter. Nightmare seemed to notice and his tentacle wrapped around Cross' waist.

"You wouldn't dare." Nightmare said dismissively, glaring back at Error indignantly. Error didn't respond at first and Nightmare stiffened before he pulled Cross a little closer to him.

"Y-Y-Y-You're only still a-a-alive because h-h-h-he's down here with you." Error stated coldly. Nightmare froze up and Cross inhaled shakily. He couldn't breathe. The tension was choking him. He felt tears spring to his eyes. Nightmare noticed and seemed to quickly shake off his anger before walking forward. He shoved Error out of the way and climbed out from under the Ring, Cross still being held.

Cross suddenly felt fear and worry from somewhere and he looked around, only to meet those shape-changing eyes from the door to the sound booth. Ink seemed to be quietly asking if he was okay. Cross gave a soft nod and Ink seemed uncertain before nodding back. No doubt he was wondering how Cross could be okay with Nightmare.

He felt blatant hostility as Error appeared next to Ink, glaring at him and Nightmare. "W-W-W-Well?? Get out!!" Error snapped. Nightmare let out a hiss and all of his other tentacles began to lash. He opened his mouth and Error reached up before pulling his hands away from his own face, blue strings connected to his fingers from under his eyesockets. "G-G-G-GET OUT." His eyes had lit up dangerously.

Nightmare snarled and turned away, pissed off as he left the tent with Cross still held in his tentacles. He was muttering angrily under his breath as he stalked across the circus, back towards his tent. Cross was confused. Was Nightmare... scared of Error?? He looked down, definitely not willing to ask. He was shivering, his breath coming out in that cold puff.

They entered Nightmare's tent and he carried Cross up the stairs. He set him down on the bed before heading over to his desk, still grumbling as his tentacles lashed about. Cross stared at him. He slipped himself off the bed before moving over to Nightmare. He managed to catch all his tentacles and hug them to him. They twitched in his grasp, spiking up before seeming to relax.

Even Nightmare's seething annoyance faded for a minute. He glanced back at Cross and gave a quiet sigh. "Is something wrong?" He questioned, turning to look at him. One of his tentacles tickled Cross' cheek and Cross looked down before shaking his head. He leaned his cheek against the tentacle. Nightmare watched him before he finally felt warmth.

It was in Nightmare's eyes and was felt pulsing out from him. Cross quietly let go of Nightmare's tentacles. They all waved quietly. Nightmare reached out and rubbed Cross' cheek with his hand. Cross blinked before closing his eyes and tipping his head into his hand. He jumped a little as Nightmare rubbed a thumb over his cheekbone.

"Why do you seem bothered?" Nightmare asked. Cross blinked and shook his head. The darker tipped his own and leaned in. "Is something on your mind, Cross...? Something bothering you..?" He rumbled quietly, his tentacles now waving passively behind him. Cross looked down.

He began to fiddle with his fingers again before Nightmare reached out and took both of Cross' hands in his own. He stared at Cross, silently prompting him to speak. Cross was uncertain before avoiding his gaze. "Why did you...? I... Are you...?" He kept sputtering as he tried to figure out a way to word the question. He furrowed his brow.