The Scarred Dawn

Cross slowly blinked open his eyes. Sunlight filtered through the tent walls. He shot up and furrowed his brow. He swore as he hit his head on the bed above him and rubbed his skull. Was he supposed to have been up earlier?! All the other beds were empty. He couldn't feel anyone near him. He sighed.

His first real day there and he was already probably late! Cross quickly got up, slipping himself out of the bed and fixing his clothes. He left his bag hanging on the side and headed down the stairs. He walked forward, but jumped as the flap moved before he reached it. Killer blinked in surprise before grinning.

"I was just coming to get you. I figured you would be tired from being up so late, so I let you sleep in." Killer leaned into the flap. His voice sounded dull and Cross' throat felt tight as he felt the pain. Cross thanked him shakily and walked forward, following the other outside.

Killer shut the flap behind him and Cross turned back to look at him. "Geez, cracked your skull already?" Killer asked. He was letting off both amusement and concern. Cross furrowed his brow and raised a hand to his head.

Sure enough, as he ran a hand over his skull, his bony fingers hooked on a crack and he sighed, not even flinching. He was so used to cracks that he hadn't even noticed. He shrugged and decided it couldn't be helped. It would heal on its own.

Killer seemed concerned. "Okay... We're takin' you to the Costume Tent. Our costume designer is gonna take your measurements and design somethin' for ya. You ready?" Killer asked. Cross blinked before nodding. He followed Killer through the circus until they approached a pink-striped tent.

Killer paused outside, very carefully lifting the flap without a sound. He held a skeletal finger to his teeth, signaling for Cross to be quiet. Cross could sense mischievousness coming from him and smiled, nodding. They waited a few moments. "Heya!" Killer called as he ducked inside.

There was a girly shriek, along with shock before there was annoyance and embarrassment. Killer called for Cross and he ducked inside. A skeleton greeted him cheerfully. They were dressed in a purple vest with turquoise fluff and black pants. A black shirt with a heart on it completed the outfit.

"Hello!" They greeted him cheerfully with heart-shaped, purple eyelights. "I'm Lust, the costume designer!" Lust seemed genuinely happy and Cross was relieved, it being such a nice break from the somberness of the rest of the circus. Cross shook his hand and quickly pulled it back.

Lust circled him and he tipped his head. "Hmm... I see there's a black-and-white aesthetic..." He was murmuring to himself, curiosity shooting off of him. "Oh, what's your name? I was so distracted I forgot to ask! My bad!" He giggled. Cross blinked.

"My name is Cross." He said, dipping his head. Lust nodded, his eyes bright as he watched him. Cross glanced at Killer uneasily. Killer let off a wave of amusement.

"And what are you planning to be, Cross?" Lust asked, circling him again. Cross jumped as he felt the other tug on his scarf. He tried to keep Lust in his line of sight, but it was difficult with how much the other was moving around.

"I'm going to be a knife thrower." Cross informed him. Lust stopped and he felt a bolt of surprise, then excitement. Lust looked over at Killer and smiled.

"You finally won't be alone in your act!" He said cheerfully. Killer gave a soft scoff and nodded. He could sense a bit of excitement from Killer as well. Killer spoke up again.

"Horror write you any letters?" Killer asked. Lust's cheeks went a pale purple and there was a wave of warmth from him. Along with subtle embarrassment. Lust couldn't seem to stop himself from smiling as he rolled his eyes.