The Cruel Reality

"Get Error out here!" Nightmare snapped at Ink. Ink jumped and nodded fearfully, heading towards the Big Top. He looked like he'd been about to say something else, but Nightmare was more focused on the task in front of him.

Nightmare's other tentacle threw Killer into the ground behind him. "You fool!" He spat at him. "You should have told someone!!" He turned back to the rampaging gaster blaster.

The gaster blaster, formerly known as Outer, tipped its head back and set a beam of blue energy straight up into the sky, making Nightmare flinch back. The torn remains of Outer's tent was behind it as it snarled. Nightmare's tentacles lashed out as the thing charged at him.

He broke its elbows and knees first, making the creature crash to the ground and skid to a stop in front of him. He stumbled as he felt pain. It wasn't his, and while there was pain from the gaster blaster, he realized there was another source elsewhere.

His body went cold. Cross. Cross could feel pain. He stared down at the gaster blaster, who was struggling to move as its limbs lay broken off. He turned on Killer. "Tell Error to restrain it when he gets out here!" He snapped. Killer stared at him, wide-eyed before opening his mouth.

A tentacle plowed into the ground next to his head and Killer's SOUL wavered. "I don't care if it was your friend! It is no longer one of us! Tell him to restrain it!" Nightmare snarled. Killer gulped and nodded. Nightmare turned away, ignoring his tears.

He disappeared down the path, following the source of pain to the Gadget Tent. Even before he had opened the flap, he heard a shrill, drawn-out scream of pain. Normally, he would've loved such a sound, but knowing who it was coming from made his bones cold.

Nightmare ducked inside the tent to find Cross laid back on the raised platform. Scratch marks were dug into the sides of it from his fingers and tears were flowing down his face, unchecked. He had his eyes screwed shut and his jaws forced open as he struggled to breathe. Nightmare felt his SOUL drop and he hurried over.

He stretched out his tentacles, slipping one under Cross' head so he could lean back on it. Cross shakily opened one tearful eye and Nightmare reached out, wiping away the tears so Cross could see a little better. Cross seemed to shakily focus on him. "Cross?" Nightmare asked quietly.

Cross let out a weak, strained noise in response, more tears welling in his eyes. Nightmare visibly cringed as he heard Cross' fingers dig into the side of the raised platform again. "Hurts... hurts..." Cross whispered out, seeming to choke on his own words.

Normally, Nightmare would've rejoiced over being able to cause this much pain. But this?? He didn't like this. He didn't like Cross being in pain. And he knew he had had a fascination with Cross the moment he'd stepped into his office. He just couldn't figure out WHY.

He wrapped a tentacle around Cross' waist and sat him up. Cross was easy to move. His body was like a rag doll and he winced, letting out another pained noise. He leaned against the tentacle, just seeming to be trying to fight through the pain as tears ran down his face.

Nightmare let out a quiet rumble of dismay. He moved in front of Cross and reached out, his hands lighting up blue. He hadn't done this in a while. He glanced around, making sure no one else was watching at all. And if they were, oh, he would kill them.

He set his hands on Cross' shoulders and began to send soothing, healing pulses through the other. Cross, who was breathing heavily, couldn't seem to stop the pained whimper that pulled itself from his throat. They both jumped as there was a roar again.

Cross turned his head towards the tent flap, but Nightmare quickly turned it back. "Focus on me, Cross." He instructed quietly. The other tearfully did and Nightmare continued to soothe him. His eye lit up and when he spoke, his voice was hypnotic. "Sleep."