Chapter Fifty

Riley's Point Of View

A Couple Months Later; The End Of Junior Year

     As it goes without saying, time is the worst or best possible thing that can occur for any given situation. Whether it works for the greater good, or for the destruction of everything, time bows to no one and is the best friend of change.  And as for me and Grayson, time worked to bless us in the end. But what's interesting is that only the craziest people can withstand the horrors of toxic love as love is only everlasting when it's in peace. And all my life I had felt lied to about the hopeless fantasies they projected into my youthful imagination from the moment I could perceive them.

    Grayson and I have loved each other greatly, but we had to first love ourselves enough to want to change. The darkest parts of ourselves struggling to fit with each other and the brightest parts of ourselves peacefully coexisting. "Okay, smile!" Taya squeals as she presses the small button on her phone. We all had officially thrown our school papers up into the air and walked out of the building, saying goodbye to junior year in one swift movement.

            Amber and I shared a tight hug, making sure to give a gentle squeeze for extra emphasis. "Are you sure you're going to be alright?" I question, full of sympathy. She looked hopeful, her eyes scanning Tyler who had been watching her from a distance for the past twenty minutes. "You know, maybe Tyler and I just aren't meant to be." She shrugged. I could see the sadness and the want in her eyes. "Amber.. you and him have basically been married for the past year, giving that up now is a waste of good love. And plus, look at the way he's staring at you. That look is rare, once in a lifetime. You'll see it here and then never again." I tell her, grabbing her shoulder. They had broken up shortly after the whole Jenna situation. Amber felt like she wanted to "turn over a new leaf", whatever that meant. So she broke up with Tyler after they had a little fight which left Tyler crying and depressed for months. I of course comforted Amber through it while Tyler delved headfirst into exercising and sports. Despite my best efforts, I could not convince Amber that she and Tyler were perfect for one another. But I knew Amber still loved him, she just had to see through her own stubbornness. 

Amber smiles. "So you think I should talk to him? I mean you know we ended things a few months ago. It just feels awkward going to talk to him now." I roll my eyes. "Let's be honest, you don't feel awkward, and I know that look. That's the look you give each other when you think the other isn't looking. You and he had obviously been wanting to talk to each other so just do it! He's the love of your life!" I tried to encourage her.

 Amber, still eyeing Tyler through a crowd of people, nods her head. "Maybe you're right. I'll talk to you later." She says out of focus as she heads in Tyler's direction. We were outside and the grass was greener, the sky bluer, the sun glowing. Nothing could ruin this moment for me. Nothing. "Hey, Riley," Mason says giving me a hug. Nick, Jaden, and Luke all approach me, telling me hi and giving me hugs. "You know, it's going to be really sad not sitting at that table everyday during lunch. I mean, the amount of partying we did everyday was insane." Mason smiles. "You call sitting in a smelly cafeteria partying?" Nick raises an eyebrow with a smirk.

"You can't lie and say it wasn't like a party everyday." Mason presses on with an equally sarcastic smile. "Anyways.." Nick says clearing his throat. "What are you doing this summer?" He asks me, looking genuinely curious. I shrug. "I'll be doing online classes, but that's about it. What about you guys?"  A cloud of grey forms in Luke's eyes. "I'm actually moving away this summer... to Utah. So I won't see you after today." I stared at him, knowing that months ago him leaving was my greatest dream, but now, he's proven himself. Knowing he won't be celebrating the senior year with us truly does suck.