Chapter Forty-Four

The stars. You've seen them in the night sky; shining. Though not brighter than the moon, or the sun, they add something more to the darkness that nightfall brings.

It's easy to ignore them. Most people just glance at them and go about their lives not even realizing that the universe is at our fingertips.

A heavy, weighted sigh escapes through my lips as I lay in the dark green, prickly grass in my tiny, but still beautiful, backyard; My eyes looking upwards at the night sky above.

The grass was bent where I had pressured it down and the night bugs were nowhere to be found as it was a little colder on this particular night.

I force myself off of the soft grass, making sure to brush off any dirt that was on me. The grass released upwards as my weight was no longer on it.

I felt a breeze as I slowly made my way to the newly redone driveway. It was smooth...pasty almost; like a clay face mask but solid.

My mom was wasting away at work which left me home alone. I was used to it though. The long nights by myself were something that I grew up with. It was a part of my routine.

My hands scanned my back Jean pocket for a twenty dollar bill I stuffed in there a while ago. A sigh of relief fell over me as I felt it's crinkled glory waddled up in the crevices of my cheap dark denim jeans.

I slide the bill back into my pocket, but this time I make sure to place it in the front just in case it somehow fell out. I briefly glance over the neighborhood as I began a stroll down the cracked concrete sidewalk.

With each cautious stride, the night got darker. It seemed as though every minute a new force of wind would come, each one stronger than the last. Tonight was creepy, without a doubt.

I checked behind me every so often to make sure no one was on my trail even though I subconsciously knew that I was safe.

The concrete sidewalk had obstacles that begged me to trip over them but luckily, to my fortune, I successfully avoided them.

The neighborhood was dark. The only light I was provided was from dim house porch lights and the few buzzing street lights scattered throughout. The houses in my neighborhood were average, two story homes filled with white middle class families that all go to the same country club and almost get put into debt each month due to the membership.

None of them were rich yet they pretended to be.

I spotted a familiar bright, neon green sign that read "Mickey's", which was hands down the best restaurant in the small town that I lived in. Of course all of the people here would argue McDonald's was the best but true foodies know that Mickey's is where the hearts at.

I pass through a clearing and cross the deserted street over to the bright restaurant. Looking through the windows I could see that it was packed with happy people, all enjoying a dinner with someone they loved. This was expected on a Friday night.

My hands slide over the cold, silver doorknob as I pull the door open. The smell of sugar cookies and pizza overwhelmed my nose with pleasure and the booming noise of music and laughter filled my ears.

A little chime rang from a bell as the door shut. I headed up to the green counter filled with pastries on display. The entire place was green and white themed.

I place myself into one of the old, green and white patterned stools and patiently waited for a specific server to notice me.

"Riley! Hey, I thought you only came on Wednesday's?" A familiar older man greets me with a flashy, white grin. His voice was hearty and light.