Chapter Thirty-Six

Friday night

"Riley, come over here!" Taya calls.
I walk over to a group of my friends and stand next to one of them.

"Why does this look like a club?" Tyler laughs.

"Okay, everyone say cheese!" Amber says as we take a group selfie.

We were at homecoming. Everyone was having a great time. Everyone but me.

The music pounded on my ear drums and the sound waves vibrated through my skin.

Like a stereotypical highschool movie  everyone was being nice to each other at the school dance.

  The only thing  that was going through my mind was how much I wanted to leave.

Don't get me wrong, the dance was awesome. It's just that I'm not the same as I was at the beginning of the year. I tried. I really tried. But nothing I did helped me to forget everything I've been through.

  And I've been through way too  much to just forget about it and have fun. I don't feel like having fun.

  Nick was dancing as he came and stood next to me. "Riley? Are you okay?"

  I shake my head no. "It's getting late. I think I'm  gonna go home."

Nick stops and stares me in the eyes. "Do you need me to drive you?"

I nod my head. "Please."

Nick and I walk out of the school and head for his car. Relief washed over me.

We get in and he starts the engine.
"On second thought, can you take me to the hospital?"

  Nick stares at me deeply before nodding his head yes.

The car ride seemed endless as my heart thumped in my chest and my nerves itched for the car to go faster.

My anxious mood eased a little as we pull up. We sat in the  parking lot outside of the hospital. "I'm gonna stay in here, unless you want me to come?" Nick says.

I offer a small smile. "Can you wait in here please for a couple minutes?"

Nick nods his head. "Take your time."

I head inside of the hospital and go straight up the stairs and down the hall that led to his room.

  I hear two voices talking in his room. Is someone else visiting? Oh no, I swear if it's Elijah.

I turn the doorknob slowly, knocking briefly as I enter.

  My. Heart. Dropped.

A gasp escapes my mouth and my throat goes dry.

  "No way." I say.

Grayson smiles, his dimples poking through. "Hey."

I turn to look at the doctor. "Is this real? It can't be real?"

  The doctor laughs. "Yes, Riley, he's awake."

I rush over to Grayson and I hug him. He weakly hugs back.

Tears form in my eyes as I start to sob. "I can't believe it. You're awake."

He laughs quietly. "Yeah, I can't believe it either."

"I'll give you two some alone time..." The doctor says smiling before leaving the room.

  "I- I don't know what to say..." I speak, tears streaming down my face.

He smiles. "How about you update me on everything that I missed..."

   I sit down. "Okay... Gosh- it's just so amazing seeing you smile."