Chapter Forty-Eight

Riley's Point Of View

    "Taya, please order tacos. You know how I get when I don't have at least one taco a week." Tyler sarcastically complains with a chuckle. His hair was a bit messy, and he wore a light blue athletic shirt and basketball shorts. Taya rolls her eyes but smiles nonetheless. "You have a phone, order it yourself." She states before disappearing into her bright kitchen.

      We all came over to Taya's house after school. After yesterday's Jenna fiasco, I decided I just needed to spend time with everyone, away from the hideous prison hell that we call an educational system. It was only me, Taya, Tyler, Nick, and Mason. Amber didn't feel like coming, although I suspected that it was because she was avoiding Tyler. Grayson had mandatory therapy which I encourage him to attend, and well Luke said he was busy but honestly who knows why he didn't come.

        "Aww, look at these cute house plants. I want to name this one... pearls." Tyler jokes as he plays with the leaves of one of Taya's plants in the living room. "Dude..." Mason responds, giving Tyler a look. Tyler shrugs his shoulders. "Come on, pearls is a cute name for a plant."  He argues.  Mason sighs, putting his hand on his forehead.

   Taya enters the living room and sits down next to Mason, whose mood lifted the second he saw her. Tyler stops playing with the house plant and relaxes into his seat.

     Nick was typing away on his phone, appearing distracted. Tyler was acting a bit unusual but isn't he always. And I am just simply sitting here, observing and staying silent.

   "Why is the sky blue?" Nick questions, look towards Tyler. Everyone looks at Nick in curiosity and confusion. "Why did you randomly ask that question?" Mason inquires, raising his eyebrow a bit. Nick repeats himself, staring at Tyler. "Why is the sky blue?" He says casually.

    As a smile begins to form on Tyler's face, he shrugs. "I don't know man. Because of aliens or something?"  Laughter fills the room as Nick laughs along.

"That is such a AlienRock fan thing to say." Taya adds on.

    Tyler gasps teasingly. "How did you know that I'm an AlienRock fan?"

Taya grins, looking at him. "Umm, because your phone case has AlienRock art on it."

    "So, aliens made the sky blue?" Nick questions as he stares at Tyler awaiting an answer. Tyler looks up as if thinking about something, before looking back at him. "Hmm...I don't know..."

     Nick looks back at his phone and types something before getting distracted into his phone again. "...That was so random." Taya jokes, looking between Nick and Tyler. Mason nods his head playfully. "Tyler, you do know that aliens didn't actually make the sky blue right?"

   Tyler smirks. "You have no proof."

Mason laughs. "And neither do you."

    Zoning out from the conversation, I begin to wander through my own thoughts. I can't believe Jenna had the audacity to approach me at lunch the other day. That was ridiculous. I mean, after Makayla and everything that's happened I'd assumed that Jenna would just fade away but I guess that isn't true for me is it. This has been the worst school year of my life. I regret coming to this new school if I'm being honest. Nothing but bad things have happened to me since coming here and I never did anything wrong to anyone.

   I never asked for any of this. I just wanted my first day at the new school to be different and unique. I wanted to be popular and have fun and live life. But there's been so much drama and so much pain that I can't ignore. On the surface, I've tried to block out the negative things that have happened to me and the things that I have witnessed. But deep down I know that not everything is peaches and rainbows. And maybe that's something that I have to accept because pretending that everything is okay is a lie. Too much has occurred for me to just act as if nothing is wrong.