[INTERVIEW] 130722 - CUVISM MAGAZINE

The idols who said “What’s your dream?”, Bangtan. Their music is unique because they personally took part in composing and writing the lyrics to communicate with the public. Is their music more attractive because in contrast to their “boy scouts” image, it’s serious? It’s only been a little over a month since their debut but with their ambitious name meaning - “Block out the world’s bullets.” - they have been receiving a great amount of love from the public. Let’s listen to the stories of the idols who want to try various types of music with hip-hop as a base.

The group whose music you can relate with, Bangtan.

Q) Hello. Please introduce yourselves.

Rap Monster: Hello. I’m Rap Monster. I’m 20 years old, and I’m the leader and also in charge of rapping.
V: Hello. I’m V. I’m 19 years old and I’m in charge of vocals.
Jimin: Hello. I’m Jimin. I’m 19 years old and I’m in charge of dancing and vocals. 
Suga: Hello. I’m Suga. I’m 21 years old and I’m in charge of rapping.
J-Hope: Hello. I’m J-Hope. I’m 20 years old and I’m in charge of rapping, dancing, and singing.
Jungkook: Hello. I’m Jungkook. I’m in charge of rapping, dancing, and singing.
Jin: Hello. I’m Jin. I’m 22 years old. I’m in charge of vocals.

Q) I heard that your team’s name meant “to block out the world’s bullets” It’s unique; what do each of you think of the meaning? 

V: I first heard the name “Bangtan” two years ago and it was really awkward. I thought “What is this?” and also “It’s probably temporary. We’d change it when we debut, right?”, but the more I heard it, the more I felt that it fit us the best.
Rap Monster: There were lots of suggestions but it was the best name. 

Q) What other names were suggested?

Suga: Big Kids and Young Nation. Right now, I like the name Bangtan the best and feel that it suits us well. 

Q) I’m curious about what each of your names means. 

V: My stage name was chosen last. Six, Lex, V. Those three names were suggested but the members and PD all said that V fit me the best and so I picked V to stand for victory.
Rap Monster: In 2011 I made a song by myself and at the very end of the song, there was a part when I had to yell out “Rap Monster!” I don’t know if that part was memorable or not but the company staff started calling me that and it eventually became my name.
Jimin: I use my real name. (laughs) I was originally going to use a stage name as well and there were quite a few suggestions. Names like Baby J and Kid were some options but I decided that Jimin was the best and ended up using my real name.
Suga: Because my skin is pale, I’m pretty when I smile, and because I’m sweet. (laughs) I chose this name because I want to promote sweetly. 
J-Hope: My name has the deepest meaning out of all the others in this group. (laughs) You know how in Pandora’s Box after everything else left, the only thing remaining was hope, right? I put “hope” in my name to be a hopeful existence in the group. I got the “J” from my last name, Jung. That’s how I became J-Hope.
Jungkook: Because I’m from Busan, Seagull was suggested for me. But in the end, they said that Jungkook was the best for me so that’s how I ended up using my real name.
Jin: The PD-nim said that a one-character name is intense and so I chose to use the last character of my name - “Jin”