Scene 27

FADE TO:

INT. FAST FOOD RESTAURANT 27

Paris, Cal and Eddie sit around a table eating fried chicken.

CAL
I still can't believe you just quit your job like that.

EDDIE
Yeah, you'll be able to see life through Cal's eyes now you're unemployed, Paris.

PARIS
I'd prefer to call it a long-term sabbatical.

CAL
Hey, I'm not unemployed. Once my Fortnite streams start picking up viewers I'll be minted.

EDDIE
How many viewers do you have at the moment?

CAL
That's not really relevant since I only started a couple of months ago but I had five at one point the other day.

PARIS
Jesus, you better slow down, Cal, otherwise you won't be able to cope with the fame.

CAL
Fuck off, you sound just like my mum. If you can go to New York and become a producer, I can definitely become a Fortnite streamer.

EDDIE
You actually have to be good at Fortnite first, though. What are you doing with your sabbatical anyway, Paris?

PARIS
Well, you know how I told you my mum has dementia?

Eddie and Cal nod.

PARIS
Basically she needs and full-time carer these days and I've volunteered to do it.

CAL
Wow, props to you for doing that, Paris. That's really selfless of you, to be fair.

EDDIE
Does that mean you're going to have to see your mum naked?

CAL
Always asking the big questions, Eddie. You really are wasted in a pub. Have you ever thought of going into journalism?

PARIS
Shit, I hadn't thought of that. I guess I'm going to have to. You'd both do the same for your mum, surely?

EDDIE
Nah, I don't know about that one. I think I might chun if I saw my mum's saggy tits.

CAL
What a beautiful image to put in the mind. I think I'd have to do it with my eyes closed, in all honesty.

PARIS
Right, as much as I'd love to stay here and talk about my mum's naked body, I kind of need to get back to look after her. Rachel's going out in half an hour so I need to be home by then.

EDDIE
Fair enough, I start my shift in an hour so need to get ready for that. Plus, I think Brian was doing some drilling earlier, so I should probably check I haven't got any dead bodies in my flat.

PARIS
I thought you were adamant he wasn't a serial killer?

Eddie shakes his head.

EDDIE
The other night I found a pair of rubber gloves and a bottle of bleach in the bathroom so I'm starting to have doubts.

PARIS
Shit. Well, let us know if he ever tries to murder you. I'll try and come round to help.

EDDIE
(sarcastically)
Cheers Paris, that's so kind of you. Right I better go. See you lads.

Eddie gets up and leaves the restaurant.

CAL
Feel free to leave to, Paris. I'll try and finish anything you leave.

PARIS
Cheers, Cal. I've left a few half-eaten wings there if they take your fancy?

CAL
Perfecto. Good luck with looking after your mum, by the way. I'm sure you'll do a great job.

PARIS
Thanks mate. I'll see you later.

Paris gets up and leaves the restaurant, leaving Cal munching happily on the wings.