Scene 2

CUT TO:

INT. EDDIE'S CAR - NIGHT 2

Eddie is driving a battered grey Corsa with Paris in the passenger seat.

PARIS
It's just the next left and straight down to the end.

EDDIE
I know, I've driven you here enough times to remember it by now.

PARIS
Alright, calm down. I just didn't want you to take a wrong turn. I said we'd be here by half seven.

EDDIE
Paris, it's seven twenty-three and we're like a minute away.

PARIS
But if you did take a wrong turn somewhere it might turn into more than a minute.

Eddie pulls into a space next to where SLOANE, a 26-year-old, girl-next-door, is waiting, leaning against a wall. Paris gets out of the car, gives her a kiss and opens the back door for her before sliding in the back next to her.

EDDIE
I feel like a fucking taxi driver now. Can't one of you sit in the front?

PARIS
(gazing into Sloane's eyes)
No, I think we're both alright back here for now.

SLOANE
Have you had a busy night so far then, Eddie? What time are you off shift?

EDDIE
Sloane, mate, if you make one more joke I'll kick you out and make you walk.

SLOANE
Threatening language. That's your five star rating down the drain, Eddie.

EDDIE
How have you been anyway, Sloane?

SLOANE
Same old, same old. Working non-stop mostly. Bet you're excited to have finished sixth form now?

EDDIE
Too fucking right. Not sure what I'm going to do now though. Probably just keep doing my job at the pub.

SLOANE
Sounds like a good plan to me. How are you feeling, Paris?

PARIS
I'm a lot better now that I've seen you. I've literally thought of nothing else all day.

SLOANE
Stop it! You're such a charmer. I bet you treat all your other girls like this too.

PARIS
I only have eyes for you and you know it.

SLOANE
This feels like we're in a teen film. What with Eddie driving us and everything. Like Some Kind of Wonderful maybe.

PARIS
It really does, doesn't it?

SLOANE
(whispering)
Yeah, I feel like a teenager again.

EDDIE
I can hear you back there, Sloane. I haven't got a glass divider fitted just yet.

SLOANE
(singing to 80's Film by Jon Bellion)
How does it feel to be you?

PARIS
(singing to 80's Film by Jon Bellion)
It's alright. I really think I peaked in high school.

SLOANE
(singing to 80's Film by Jon Bellion)
That is impossible, you are out of your mind
Cause we never hooked up in high school.

PARIS
(singing to 80's Film by Jon Bellion)
We just need a like, we just need a night like this, yeah.

SLOANE
(singing to 80's Film by Jon Bellion)
Take me back to ninth grade, take me back to ninth grade shit, yeah.

PARIS
(singing to 80's Film by Jon Bellion)
And just like the 80s films we'll hook up in the back seat and let my best friend drive.

EDDIE
Fuck off, don't get me involved in this.

PARIS
(singing to 80's Film by Jon Bellion)
Just like the 80s films we'll hook up in the back seat and let my best friend drive.

Eddie pulls the car into the cinema car park and turns off the engine.

SLOANE
(singing to 80's Film by Jon Bellion)
How'd we end up in a parking lot in Walton
The mornings on its way to sunrise
The island is long but the life is short in this town
I'm glad we got to redo the time

PARIS
(singing to 80's Film by Jon Bellion)
We just need a night like
We just need a night like this, yeah
Take me back to 9th grade
Take me back to 9th grade shit, yeah
And just like the 80s films
We'll hook up in my back seat and let my best friend drive

SLOANE
(singing to 80's Film by Jon Bellion)
I can't let go and your lips feel retro
You're my Breakfast Club
You're my song from Cyndi Lauper

PARIS
(singing to 80's Film by Jon Bellion)
No more missed times, we fly by street signs
Let your hips rewind
Take me back into the future, yeah

SLOANE AND PARIS
(singing to 80's Film by Jon Bellion)
Just like the 80s films
We'll hook up in my back seat and let my best friend drive
Just like the 80s films
We'll hook up in my back seat and let my best friend drive

EDDIE
I've really got to start wearing headphones when I'm around you, Paris. Now get out of my car or I'll be late for work. Have a good movie.

EXT. CINEMA CAR PARK - NIGHT

Sloane and Paris get out of the car and walk towards the cinema.

PARIS
You should hear this beat I made earlier, Sloane. It's insane. The way the drums go into the pocket. Aaah!

SLOANE
That sounds great, Paris! Send it to me later and I'll give it a listen. How are the followers doing?

PARIS
Good, I got five more today. It really does look like it might happen, Sloane!

SLOANE
I'm so excited for you! How many more do you think you'll need before you go over to New York?

PARIS
I really don't have any idea. I mean it's not so much a question of how many fans you have but how good your music is. I was speaking to Cal and Eddie about it today and they just laughed when I told them about it. Do you think it's a stupid idea too?

SLOANE
Not at all, Paris. They're probably just jealous that you might be able to get out of here, unlike them. You've got to chase your dreams or it's a waste of a life.

PARIS
(thoughtfully)
You're right, Sloane. You're right.

SLOANE
Of course I am. I'm so much older and wiser than you are. Now let's forget about it and watch the movie, eh?

Paris and Sloane walk hand-in-hand towards the cinema.