Scene 21

CUT TO:

INT. PINK SQUIRREL RECORDS - STUDIO 21

Paris whistles to himself as he walks to the studio. He phones Caleb but it goes to answerphone.

PARIS
Hey Caleb, I'm just on my way to the studio. Great fucking news: the spa trip has only gone and worked. I moved back in with Prisha last night. I literally can't thank you enough, man. Okay, well see you in a few minutes, I guess.

Paris continues his walk to the studio and opens the door to find Caleb holding a carboard box of all his possessions.

PARIS
Caleb, what the fuck's going on?

CALEB
(angrily)
They've fucking sacked me, Paris. That's what.

PARIS
How can they do that? You're their best producer.

Caleb shrugs.

CALEB
Apparently my work didn't warrant the amount of money I was on. They called me in for a meeting at half eight this morning and Ray fired me on the spot.

PARIS
That's fucking ridiculous. Is there anything I can do to try and get you the job back?

CALEB
Don't even bother, it's not worth it. I'd rather be unemployed than work for those bunch of dickheads anyway. The best thing you can do now is stay here and make as big a name for yourself as possible before they fire you too.

PARIS
This is so shit. Seriously if there's anything you ever need, Caleb, just call me and I'll do it for you straight away.

CALEB
Thanks Paris, that means a lot. Right I better get going before they get security to wrestle me out the door. I'll see you soon, Paris.

PARIS
Definitely. See you, man.

Caleb leaves the studio and Paris collapses into a chair. Moments later Tony walks in.

TONY
(smirking)
I'm guessing you've heard what's happened to Caleb?

PARIS
What the fuck is wrong with you people? You can't fire your most talented producer like that!

TONY
We can do whatever we like, Paris. You'll be next, mark my words. If you don't start performing, I'll make sure you're in Roy's office by this time next week.

PARIS
You don't scare me Tony. You're the biggest pussy in this whole city.

Tony squares up to Paris.

TONY
You think you're so tough, don't you? With your British accent and your big cock. But you're not.

PARIS
Sorry to stop you Tony, but how do you know I have a big cock? That's a bit of a weird thing to say, that.

TONY
Shut the fuck up before I slam your head into that wall.

PARIS
Go for it. I could really do with some workplace injury compensation actually. I've been told I might lose my job soon.

Tony eyes Paris for and second then storms out the room and slams the door behind him.

CUT TO:

INT. PRISHA'S APARTMENT

Paris opens the door to Prisha's apartment and collapses onto the sofa. Prisha brings him a coffee.

PRISHA
Hard day?

PARIS
You could say that. Thank fuck that week's over. I'm literally paranoid that it's the last time I'm going to be in the studio every time I leave.

PRISHA
Forget about what Tony says, Paris. At the end of the day it's Ray who's making the decisions and if you make enough money for him there's no way he can fire you.

PARIS
Yeah, I guess so. I just never thought being a producer would be this stressful. I spend every waking second thinking about the next song.

PRISHA
Even when we're having sex?

PARIS
Apart from then obviously. Because I'm trying to decide what I'm going to watch on Netflix later then.

PRISHA
I really do I hope that's a joke otherwise you'll be back into that hotel room before you know it.

PARIS
(glaring jokingly)
You wouldn't dare.

PRISHA
Oh, believe me I would, Paris.

Paris' phone starts buzzing.

PARIS
(anxiously)
Shit, it's Rachel. I haven't spoken to her in months.

Paris answers the phone and holds it to his ear. He walks into the bedroom.

PARIS
Hi Rachel, how are you?

RACHEL
Yeah alright, enough with the niceties, Paris. I need you to come back home.

PARIS
What, now?

RACHEL
Yes, now. Mum's gone into hospital.

PARIS
Shit, what's happened to her?

RACHEL
She had a fall. Not that you'd know this because you never bother to call, but they've diagnosed her with early-onset dementia.

PARIS
Why haven't you told me this, Rachel?

RACHEL
Because you're too busy living your rich-boy lifestyle out in America to give a fuck about your family.

PARIS
No I'm not. If you'd told me sooner I would have come back immediately.

RACHEL
Well now's your chance to Paris. Mum needs you. Please see her before she forgets who you are entirely.

PARIS
Okay, I'll catch the first flight back.

RACHEL
Good.

Rachel hangs up the phone. Paris walks back into the living room.

PARIS
Prisha, I'm really sorry but I've got to fly back to England.

PRISHA
Are you joking? We literally just got back together.

PARIS
Look, my mum's gone into hospital. They say she's got dementia.

PRISHA
Fine, go if you want. I don't see how you going to see her is going to help though.

Paris stares at her angrily and confusedly. He realises it's not worth arguing with her about it. He packs up a suitcase and heads out of the apartment.