Scene 3

CUT TO:

EXT: FIELD BY THE RIVER – SUNSET 3

Paris, Eddie and Cal are drinking and chatting by the river with the rest of their classmates. There's a group playing songs on a guitar around a fire with a little stage behind them.

CAL
How was the movie last night in the end, Paris?

PARIS
Was actually alright, to be fair. Classic, predictable rom-com but pretty funny.

CAL
I heard you had a little serenade in the back of Eddie's car. Did you make sure you wiped the seats clean afterwards?

EDDIE
(angrily)
You better not have done anything, Paris! Or I'll be making you lick your own spunk off those leather seats.

PARIS
I'm sure it'll be very nutritious. Don't worry we waited until we got to cinema before we started all of that.

CAL
Back row job, was it?

PARIS
(nodding)
Row V. At the start there an old couple sitting next to us but they moved forward to get a better view in the end luckily.

EDDIE
What a dream. Well, while you were out enjoying yourself, I was putting in a hard graft all night.

CAL
Eddie, you were pulling pints at The Bell. Not like you were fighting on the front line in Afghanistan.

EDDIE
Fuck off, Cal. It'll be more than you do this whole summer. Any luck finding a job yet?

CAL
I'm relying on Paris' world-famous artist thing to pull through and he'll hire me as a roadie. Not much point getting a job if I'll just have to quit it in the end.

PARIS
Even I'm going to tell you that you might want to find something part-time to keep yourself busy, Cal. I don't think I'll be hiring roadies anytime soon.

EDDIE
Hey Paris, reckon you should go up and give us a little rendition of something? Whoever's up there at the moment isn't doing a great job.

PARIS
Do you know what, that's not a bad idea at all. Sloane was saying to me last night about how I need to put myself out there and follow my dreams. What song would I sing though?

CAL
How about the one you wrote after my birthday party?

PARIS
The one about how I got with Sloane?

EDDIE
Yeah go on, it's jokes.

PARIS
But no one here knows I make music apart from you two.

CAL
If you become a world-famous megastar they're gonna find out anyway, Paris. Might as well give them a taste of what's to come. Plus we've left school now so you'll never have to see any of them again.

PARIS
Uh, fine.

EDDIE
Hey guys! Paris here wants to give everyone a song!

The whole group turn around and Paris looks down at his feet with embarrassment.

GUY IN THE CROWD
Come on then Paris. Up you come! Show us what you've got in the locker.

Paris strolls up to the stage and takes the guitar from an angry looking girl, who's song had just been interrupted. A lot of whispering spreads across the crowd. Paris taps the microphone, strums the guitar and clears his throat.