Whistling

Leo had been dreaming again. It was always little snippets, never quite enough. But they kept him going. If every heinous creature were to visit him during the day and tear him down, then just a moment in his dream world would have him facing the next day with renewed vigor.
Unlike the memories of time together, or fantasies of a hope to come, last night had felt more real, raw. Leo feared and simultaneously yearned for his vision to be a reflection of reality. He'd seen his friends all huddled in a room, packing up and sorting themselves. Leo's breath had caught when he caught sight of Nico. The boys back was to him, but a longing to run up and cling to his love clawed at him. When the Italian turned around Leo's heart stuttered. His eyes had dark bags underneath them, his cheek had a thick scab across it. Both hands trembled weakly and Percy offered to carry his bag for him. Anger and confusion swept through Leo and he felt a fierce protection rise up. He wanted to hold Nico and incinerate anyone who wanted to harm his love.
Just as Leo was border-lining on what was sure to be a very (very) mature temper tantrum, he heard Annabeth call attention to the group. "Let's go get our boy."
Our boy. Our boy. They were coming for him. They were close. He just knew it. If he could figure out how to survive in this awful place just a bit longer, he would be saved.
Of course admittedly he was to blame for how bad it had gotten. But he simply couldn't do what had been asked of him. So he fell short. Day after day he presented flawed projects and day after day he had been beaten, mocked, abused and humiliated. But night after night he had dreamed of that smile, of that laugh, of that hand in his. And he held on. And now, they were coming.
Overcome with glee he shot up in his bed ready to dance about before every bit of him protested. Leo scowled. Apparently his body wasn't aware that it should be celebrating.
Today as he worked, Leo even let out a whistle. He laughed to himself and looked around before whistling a full tune. So caught up in his glee, Leo failed to notice the tall figure approaching behind him until a hand was on his neck. Immediately Leo fell silent as panic stuck.
"I'm sorry. I got carried away," he began to beg, but no grace came. The hold tightened as nails dug into his neck and breathing became more difficult.
"I don't want to hear excuses you piece of filth. I'm not surprised at all that you're practicing for your Broadway audition instead of the task AT HAND!" as he spoke his voice escalated until he was shaking Leo by his neck and screaming in his face. Leo closed his eyes against the stench of his captor's breath and longed to be anywhere else.
Thrown to the ground, Leo curled up immediately and bit his lip to hold back tears at the words that came next.
"Chain him up and grab my supplies."
Two men stalked towards Leo and he began to scurry backwards. "No, please. Don't. You don't have to do this. Please," he cried out as he scrambled further away from the approaching men. Leo pulled back once more when his leg jarred and stayed in place. He'd reached the end of his leash.
"PLEASE DON'T DO THIS! I'M BEGGING YOU DON'T! I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG! I'M DOING MY JOB I SWEAR IT! I SWEAR IT!"
His cries and pleas increased as the men reached him and grabbed him securely before dragging his protesting body towards the center of the room.
Soon Leo was hanging from a large chain as cuffs dug into his already raw wrists. Eyes clenched tightly he bit his lip and waited, trembling, for what was to come.