I Spy

Nico couldn't remember a time in his life when he'd been colder. His feet had begun to ache with pins and needles shooting throughout them and his jaw was sore from the constant shivering. Annabeth had maintained their fire periodically throughout the night so the morning chill wasn't as bad as it could have been. Hazel had tucked into his front with her head under his chin and he could feel Percy pressed up from behind, arms wrapped possessively around his waist. Thalia was at his feet using them as a makeshift pillow. Yet despite all that his entire frame wracked with shivers. The pit of his stomach felt ice cold and his head was pounding.
The scrawny demigod burrowed back towards his old crush and pulled his sister tighter to him as he nuzzled into her hair. The movement woke Percy and he tucked his chin into Nico's neck while blearily blinking open his eyes.
"You alright there Nico?" he whispered in a sleep warn voice. It took Nico a moment to control his shivering enough to respond. "I....I thi-thi-think," he paused to lick his lips, "once wwwwewe g-g-g-get mov-v-ving I'll b-b-b-be ok-o-o-ok -fine."
Hazel had stirred awake at this point and she was looking up at her brother with worried eyes. With her maternal instincts kicking in she began to rub his arms vigorously and asked a newly awoken Thalia to grab his clothes. She, unlike her cousin, seemed better today. Her eyes had cleared back to their vibrant blue and her face had returned to a more lively flushed quality.
If Nico were honest he shouldn't be doing anything, much less traveling a day's journey in the open plains of the Midwest, but his mind kept flashing to the fearful face of his love and his resolve solidified once more.
After a quick breakfast (and an extra dose of ambrosia for the son of Hades) the group bundled as best they could and headed west along the highway.
Nico would stumble every once in a while, but someone was always there to support him and keep him moving. He didn't mind the help, but the concerned looks were growing more and more frequent and it was honestly aggravating. Percy was the only one who refrained and that was A: because he's an obliviously dense guy and B: he'd seen Nico at his weakest and he saw Nico battle through regardless.
"Is it that tree?"
"No."
"Is it that fence?"
"Nope."
"Is it that van?"
"N- Wait what?!"
The group had resorted to a painfully pathetic game of eye spy when Percy glanced back to see a minivan pull into sight. A surge of emotions rushed over them. Fear, caution, relief, hope, skepticism, it was all racing through them and peaking as the vehicle slowed down.
"Have you kids lost your mind?!" screeched the voice of a middle aged woman. She hopped out and immediately pulled open the sliding door before bustling to the back where she pulled out two blankets.
"It's all I've got, but we aren't too far from town. Well go on then," she commanded, "hop in!"
All eyes turned to Annabeth, she is the daughter of Athena after all. She huffed in irritation, but took the lead regardless. Looking closely at the woman and then peering inside the vehicle she decided to climb in. And that was that. The four remaining demigods crawled in behind her, sandwiching Nico in the middle, and burrowing under the blankets.
"Now why in the good lords name are you out here dressed in practically nothing?" the woman demanded as she turned up the heat to full blast and pulled back onto the highway.
"Well ma'am, our car crashed and we didn't have cell service so we started walking," replied Annabeth. The woman gasped in horror and looked over the group for signs of injury before she seemed to launch a full on investigation. The rest decided to hold back and let Annabeth be the spokesmen. Partly because she would know best what to say, and mostly because if one of the others said something they shouldn't have, she would've given them hell for it.
So the two chatted away while the rest of the vehicle zoned out in the warmth of the van. It didn't take long for the heat to aggravate Nico. His skin begin to crawl and then burn. Sweat began to pool on his brow and he shifted miserably. Digging his face into Hazel's shoulder he let out an agonized mewl.
"Nico?" she whispered before setting the palm of her hand on his forehead. "I think you have a fever bud."
He just whined and slouched further until he was basically curled up in her lap for the rest of the drive, slowly drifting to sleep.

"He hasn't been feeling well, so we'll just carry him in," Annabeth whispered to the woman as they all clamored out of the vehicle. She had driven them to Sioux Falls, South Dakota which was the exact location of their intended rendezvous. Unfortunately when they had tried to rouse Nico he hadn't responded at all. Percy pulled the smaller lad into his arms and they tried to pull it off as him being tired and sick (which was certainly true though to a grander extent).
"This isn't good," muttered Hazel as the group walked down a motel hallway.
"That's an understatement," snarked back Thalia which earned her a kick to the calf from Percy. Before a full out squabble could commence Annabeth pulled her boyfriend back and told the two to knock it off before they drop Nico. That did the trick. The blonde took charge as per usual and soon they were tucked into their room with Nico wrapped in blankets, a cool rag on his forehead while Annabeth researched how they could care for the horribly ill boy. It was going to be a long night.