Unscathed? Not a Chance.

Leo fixed things. He was, at his core, a fixer. So when something beyond his control broke (for example: humans), it drove him mad. Right now, Leo was on the verge of mad. What should have been a relatively simple quest had just taken a horrifying turn.

Get in, grab the demigod, get out. The group had found the teenage girl hiding in the shadows of an alley. It took them a bit to convince her they weren't the enemy. Rocks kept picking up and flying at them and at one point this crazy weed sprang up and wound itself around Annabeth's ankles. Thankfully, she's pretty good with that knife of hers. Needless to say, the girl was powerful and scared. Never a good combination.

Eventually they tried a different tactic. Stepping back, they let Annabeth crouch at the edge of the shadows to just talk. Leo had never fully heard her story, but if anyone had an experience that was going to relate to the lost little girl, it was this daughter of Athena. She soon discovered that the girl's name was Chloe and she'd been on her own for nearly 6 months. In the end, the redhead tentatively stepped out before rushing into Annabeth's arms. Relieved, the small gathering of demigods prepared to take their new friend home.

Of course the giant porcupine monster spoiled all that. This massive creature covered in spikes crawled around the corner and sneered at the youth. "Oh this is a company I'd receive honors to destroy." Leo, for one, was ready to be back in Bunker 9, so he snapped. "Sure thing Spike. But all you'll get with us is a painful death and maybe a dunce cap from your buddies when they hear how quickly you were destroyed!" Just before it sprang, their lovely war strategist hollered instructions. "I've got Chloe, Nico corner, Leo flame on, Percy control and cleanup!" They got the message.

As the monster began raining clusters of splinters down on the group and demigods began dodging, they put the plan into action. Nico's creepy dead- guy-things rose up and began battling, eventually trapping it in the back of the alley. Leo threw his flame balls and when the warehouse to their right caught on fire, Percy used the sewage system below them to put it out (he's got their backs like that). For a moment after the battle they thought they had escaped unscathed, but as the smoke cleared they heard Annabeth's cry of alarm. Percy paled as he spun to locate her. But it wasn't his beloved in trouble. It was Leo's.