Doves

A fact about doves, they mate for life. When two doves find each other they will never, till the day they die, move on to another dove. One time when Percy was younger his mother had left the kitchen window open and somehow a dove found itself inside the Jackson apartment. As hard as it tried it could not manage to escape. He remembers watching in horror as it beat itself against walls trying to be free once more. Eventually the poor thing killed itself in its desperate attempts to escape. But that wasn't even the saddest part. For months after another dove, its mate, kept returning to their windowsill. The bird would land day after day and sing mournfully; for its mate was no longer his to love and enjoy. A horrific story to be honest, but it came back glaringly to Percy's mind as he observed Nico these past few days.
The son of Hades had returned to the junkyard and motel repeatedly over the past week and had come up with no leads. He still had no clue as to who had taken his love, much less where the engineer had been taken. Nico had reached the point where the grass died in his wake and the ground trembled as he slept (in those few moments when he actually allowed himself to sleep). The poor boy picked up a flower the other day and promptly burst into tears when it wilted upon contact. His sorrow kept manifesting without his control.
The campers had begun to steer clear of the pale teen for fear of an outbreak. An outbreak which had yet to come. But it would come. Percy new it would come because like himself, Nico was a child of the big three. Like himself, Nico contained more power than even he could imagine. And like himself, Nico could in a blink lose the tight grip on his emotions and cause catastrophic, irreversible damage.
Percy could still remember the horror in his girlfriend's face when Percy had let loose. He never wanted to reach that place again, yet it could happen. He knew it and sadly so did Annabeth. So yes, Percy knew Nico would snap. He just wanted to do everything in his power to be there for him when the time came.
From what he could see, the only thing holding the kid together was his sister. Hazel had been phenomenal. She listened to him, never shied away when he needed to rage, and most importantly she continued to remind him of what they both knew: Leo was alive.
When Percy approached the Hades Cabin he groaned internally. Inside he could here shouts, one of anger and one of desperation. The green eyed boy took a deep breath and opened the door. He was met with a very odd sight. Nico was in a defensive stance and behind him seemed to be three grocery bags full of... french-fries, and the floor at Hazels feet was punctured and split open and covered in gems. Both turned angrily towards him as soon as he stepped in.
"So what's up guys?" ventured Percy and he nearly choked when his friend responded.
"This bitch clearly doesn't give a damn about my boyfriend because she's vetoing my last ditch effort! It's like she doesn't even care!"
Hazel face heated rapidly, whether from anger or embarrassment he wasn't sure, but he didn't get a chance to think on it because she too had apparently lost her mind.
"Are you freaking kidding me? I DO CARE! But this 'bitch' ALSO happens to care about her brother who shouldn't be screwing with dead people. It's dangerous! It's stupid! You can't just... Nico you just can't."
He scoffed. "I've been 'screwing with dead people' since I was a child Hazel. I think it's about time I used it to save someone who can actually be saved. If I can't save him Hazel, I'll," he couldn't finish. He choked off and looked away. Percy could see him pinching the bridge of his nose tightly and squeezing his eyes shut as he breathed deeply. "I am so so tired of crying. I want to actually do something. Please."
Her posture softened and she sat on a bunk. Percy was still standing awkwardly. Definitely unsure of whether it was appropriate for him to be witnessing this. He was also examining his credibility as a mediator and doubting that as well.
"Nico, I know you're going to do what you think's best no matter what anyone says. Believe me, I've been there a hundred times," began Percy, "so I'm just going to ask that you talk to someone. Hazel, Will, or talk to me even, but please communicate with someone about what you're doing. Keep one of us with you. I don't want you out there on your own. Don't let us worry like that. Okay?"
Nico just sat for a moment hunched and breathing.
"Okay."