I Am Loved

AN: // So I spent the afternoon watching Dan and Phil on YouTube. Needless to say, I feel like my writing style shifted slightly due to immense exposure. So if you hate this chapter and it seems odd and foreign you can write a letter of complaint to them and not me.
Read. Review. Enjoy!

Nico slowly woke up and tried to get his bearings. His stomach churned with regret and his chest felt weighed down, twinging with grief. His entire body ached and stung, but what really worried him was the hand in his own. It was petite, fragile. It wasn't rugged, calloused, and warm.

His mind grappled for answers, panic making the voyage all too difficult. Finally he replayed his last memories and the relief sickened him. Leo wasn't gone. Kellen was gone. He practically choked on the grief rising in his throat.

Dammit Nico. Your father is the god of death. Why does it still surprise you?

Not surprised. Not at all. But I'm selfish and I'd like to keep my friends thank you.

As his mind wandered it eventually drifted back to the hand in his own. The final words of the engineer rang through Nico's mind. "You have to take care of Leo. You have a job. Don't leave him." Okay they weren't his final, final words, but near enough. Important enough. And here he was holding "not Leo's" hand.

Finally he peeled his eyes open to find his sister daydreaming by his bedside. "Hey," he croaked and the curly haired girl looked down at her brother. "Hey sleepy head," she whispered. People always whisper when sad things happen. The word sorry especially, that gets whispered the most. Sorry you didn't get the job. Sorry she hurt you. Sorry your friend died. Yeah, cause whispering has a sense of escape to it. Like if words come out in full voice then things are too real. Sometimes Nico hated whispering.

Biting his lip. Nico looked back at his sister. She'd been waiting patiently as his thoughts drifted. She gave him a pinched smile and couldn't resist combing her fingers through his chaotic mess of hair. "How are you holding up?" she whispered. Again with the whispering.

Nico frowned and stuttered. "I-uh, where's Leo?" he felt a bit pathetic responding like that, but maybe he had a right. Maybe he had a right to the most comforting person in his life right now. Hazel practically cooed at her little brother. "We had to send him to get some rest," she responded and was surprised when he glared at her.

"Should've just put him in my bed," scolded Nico and Hazel let out quiet laugh. "How about I go get him now?" she offered and Nico nodded sullenly. As he waited, flashes of the night before ran through his mind. It really was all too graphic - one of those memories he could really do without.

"You left him all alone?!" Leo's cry rang throughout the infirmary and Nico scanned the room for a sign of his boyfriend. The crazy Latino spun the corner followed by an irritated Hazel and when he caught her look he matched it. "Honest woman. What's wrong with you?" Leo passed a medic and spun on that unsuspecting soul as well. "And when can he leave?" he asked with a grand sweeping motion towards Nico's bed. "You guys can't just hold people hostage!" he yelled. Someone was in a poor mood.

When Leo finally reached Nico, the pale boy's eyebrows could nearly reach his hairline. Leo didn't comment on the disbelief on his boyfriend's face. Instead he leaned over the son of Hades and pecked his lips. "Kiss me Nico. My lips are healing" he declared and Nico obliged. Leo didn't whisper.

When they pulled apart Leo finally sagged. Nico knew all the vibrato was for him. He knew Leo probably didn't sleep nearly as long as he needed. He knew the mechanic was worried out of his mind. "Come here you," Nico demanded, scooting over to make room for his gangly lover.

The two sat and snuggled in silence for a good while until Jason has the audacity to interrupt them. The tall blonde smiled down at the two adorable idiots before he turned solemn. "Frank says there will be a funeral tonight. Nico, he asked that you would share."