The Last Bus

Improvising is a vital skill for demigods. In a world where you are never truly safe and things almost never go to plan, you have to be quick minded and clever.

Sometimes it's a monster showing up unexpectedly. Sometimes it's an injured teammate. Sometimes it's a meddlesome god or goddess. Sometimes you simply miss the last bus home.

Leo and Nico, being the stubborn and tenacious boys they were, had worked on their pet until dusk.

Covered in sweat and grime they looked at their feline as she (they had decided it was a she) pounced around the junk yard. Despite their aching muscles they were quite pleased with their workmanship. It was a bit larger than what a full grown lion would amount to and it had an active personality like Festus. Nico still couldn't figure how Leo creates these things but he felt a sense of pride knowing he'd helped with this amazing creature.

The downside was he had begun limping and despite his efforts to hide it from his lover, the mechanic noticed.

"Will you please just let her carry you up the hill? Or let me? You're clearly hurting DiAngelo and you need to take care of yourself!" Leo stomped his foot for good measure, but Nico just raised his eyebrow. "Did you really just call me DiAngelo?"

He chuckled as Leo huffed and whined a bit. "I was trying to be extra serious!"

This statement brought a full laugh to the pale boys lips. "Extra? You couldn't even pull off mildly serious!"

Leo glared, "Well I've been crying all day haven't I?"

"You're emotions don't count. We're talking about an authoritative stern serious not a blubbering breakdown serious."

"Serious is serious! You can't categorize it!"

"Of course I can!"

As the boys stood at the base of the hill bantering they heard the rumbling motor of a bus as it drove by. The two stopped their squabbling instantly and stared as the red taillights faded into the darkness

"Shit," hissed Nico while Leo just nodded numbly.

"That was the last bus wasn't it."

"Yup."

"We were supposed to take that home weren't we?"

"Yup."

"And your leg wound still has you too drained to shadow jump."

"Yup."

----/--/-------/---:/:-------::--////------

Sometimes you don't want to say, "I told you so." Sometimes that's the worst thing imaginable.

Percy sat on the pavement watching as the water from his water bottle rose and swirled before him in intricate patterns before weaving back inside. He did this several times until suddenly it all burst into mist. He blinked in surprise for a moment then groaned in frustration.

He's been working on maintaining absolute control despite his tumultuous emotions. He figured that now seemed like a good time to practice since he had the time and the aggravation.

You see, the two love birds hadn't returned. And despite Thalia's certainty, he wasn't so confident they would be alright. Leo's been awfully distracted lately (more so than usual) and Nico was still recovering from his injury.

So here he was at the bus stop praying to his father, Nico's father, Leo's father, anyone who might listen, that they would return home safe.

When the last bus pulled up he stood as anxiety bubbled up within him. It was empty. The doors opened and the driver looked at him expectantly.

"Ummm, did two boys about my age get on at KGR Junk Yard? One's Latino and hyperactive with curly hair and the other is pale and broody with gothic clothes?"

The bus driver didn't answer right away but smiled sinisterly.

"Lost your friends did you?" He practically hissed.

Percy grew up in the city. He's done public transportation. And as awful as some of those drivers were they didn't radiate pure evil. He reached into his pocket and grasped riptide.

"What did you do to them?" He snarled as he took a defensive stance.

The smile on the drivers face stretched wide and split in two as his head morphed into two separate heads.

"We tell the truth demigod. We have had no passengers. Until now that is."

With that the creature lunged through the doorway drawing his own sword which a moment ago had been the emergency brake.

Percy was ready. He pulled riptide out and swung it forward to parry the attack .

The battle continued as the two exchanged blows. People always told Percy he was a brilliant swordsman. He's only been bested a few times, but he couldn't catch this monster off guard. One head followed his feet and torso, the other followed his sword and eyes. There was no element of surprise. The two headed monster could always predict his next move.

Percy's heart clenched as he tripped and flew to the ground, head smacking the earth with a dull thud. The monster lunged as the demigod attempted to regain his breath and clear his vision. Ar the last moment he rolled to the left escaping a deadly jab. Of course the term escape is used lightly for the blade had caught Percy's arm. The dark haired boy inhaled sharply at the pain and scrambled backwards now deflecting more of the onslaught. He had just managed to regain his footing when an arrow sunk into the monsters chest. All four eyes went wide before the beast dissolved.

Percy grimaced as a clear female voice rang out.

"You okay there Ariel?"

The son of the sea god turned towards his cousin with anger blazing in his eyes. She had the audacity to be confused with his rage.

"Dude water boy. Chill! I just saved your butt."

Percy's fists clenched before he pointed in her face.

"You better get a quest because your awful attempt at romance has put my friends in danger. That," he pointed to where the creature had dissolved, "was the driver of their bus and they aren't home yet."

Her blue eyes widened and glistened with emotion. "Oh my gods."