The greed for power. 

Zeau plunged his black sword through Isleif’s chest, however, before he could do it, several vines stretched out from nowhere and diverted his attack. Isleif managed to roll out of the way at the last second, the sword grazing his arm. 

Zeau wanted to chase after Isleif, when a small rock charged his way at a frightening speed. He blocked it with his sword, his red demonic eyes narrowed at Cecil. 

Cecil had both of her hands stretched out. 

She knew she had angered Zeau, like she had taken away his prey from him.

“Are you...Veau’s brother? You look exactly like him,” Cecil questioned, glancing at Isleif who stood up to his feet for a second, relieved, before looking back at Zeau. “Too much like him.” 

“Veau is my brother,” Zeau answered casually, approaching Cecil menacingly with his sword. “And he said you were a unique mortal, but I have no idea what he meant by that.” 

Cecil frowned, even more troubled after confirming that Zeau was Veau’s brother. Moreover, now Zeau’s bloodlust was directed to her.

There is too many changes for me to properly think about, right now.

She took a cautious step back with every step Zeau took, drawing out her daggers.

“There is nothing unique about you,” Zeau’s red eyes traced every part of her, shaking his head. “I wonder what my brother saw in you.” 

Cecil recalled the perilous conversation she had with Veau back in the prison cell, when she was kidnapped by Leonaut. She knew the only reason Veau referred to her as a unique mortal was because of her lifeforce and her soul. 

The fact she was from another world.

If Islief couldn’t last a minute against Zeau, it's even worse for me.

Within a few hits, Cecil was defeated and she flew back, her back hitting the ground as she grunted. 

“You are just an average mortal woman.” Zeau looked down at Cecil coldly, her attacks did nothing to scratch him in any way. 

Zeau lifted his sword up by an inch, and he glanced sharply to his right side, dodging a punch aimed at his face. He leaped back and the “kind” smile was back on his face. 

“Don’t touch her.” Isleif snarled at Zeau, the deformed wing on his back twitching as if agitated. 

“You care about her?” Zeau raised his eyebrows. “Even if you are a soul fragment, the only person you are supposed to care about is Hana Katae.”

“Cecil Lan is mine, and mine alone,” Isleif stood in front of Cecil, glaring at Zeau. “No one can touch her.” 

Cecil pushed herself up to her feet, conflicted. Nevertheless, she felt grateful for Isleif saving her from Zeau.

“Thank you, Isleif.” 

Isleif only glanced back at her, not saying anything before he glanced back to Zeau. 

“This mortal woman is that important to you? As important as Hana Katae?” Zeau was intrigued, his smile growing wider. “I see now, what my brother meant.” 

Zeau stared at Cecil, and Cecil felt something crawling down her spine at his stare. 

The way his demonic eyes looked upon her, as if she was another interesting prey for him to play around with. 

“If you are important to this soul fragment, you must be important to Xue as well.” 

Isleif stood protectively in front of Cecil, watching Zeau carefully.