Chapter Nineteen

Gwen hadn't even gotten a minute of sleep during the night

Gwen hadn't even gotten a minute of sleep during the night. From the moment she walked away from Harry, her mind hadn't been at peace. At first she tried to come up with all the possible ways in which Harry could have misunderstood what he overheard.

Perhaps they had been talking about someone who used to be the Head of St Mungo's before her mother. But Gwen knew the truth was right in front of her. Memories flashed through her mind, moments from her childhood that at the time she was unable to understand, both because she was too young and didn't have all the information.

And while now, they all seemed to fit the puzzle, Gwen was more confused than ever. She couldn't understand how her mother ever could have married a man like Sirius Black. And what was even worse, how she could stay married to him after everything he's done.

By the time morning came, Gwen prepared for the first day of classes, her mind still consumed by the questions and worry. Her movements were almost robotic as she paid no mind to the conversation between her dorm mates. She didn't have it in her to go to class or focus on the work that awaited her for the day. But knowing she didn't really have a choice, she made her way out of the Hufflepuff common room and headed in the direction of her first class.

Her eyes were glued to the ground, the sounds of roaming students fading away into the background. Because of that, Gwen didn't even notice someone running after her or calling her name. It was only once she felt a hand grasp her arm that she stopped and turned around.

"George? What are you doing here?" She asked in surprise, knowing that the Hufflepuff basement wasn't on his way to any of the classes, no matter which corner of the castle he was coming from.

"I'm supposed to be your living book bag, remember?" George's light hearted explanation made Gwen's brows furrow. Because, no, she did not remember. Seeing the confused look flashing over her face, George continued. "We agreed I'd start paying off the bet I lost after the holidays. I'm supposed to carry your books."

"The bet... Right." Gwen now remembered the bet they made on the outcome of last semester's Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff Quidditch match. "It's alright George, there's no need, really. You don't have to." She stated, thinking George would be happy about the release. Gwen turned around again, about to walk away, but George wouldn't let her go off so easy.

"Hey, wait a second." George exclaimed quickly, this time not trying to reach for her again, but instead running around her so that he now stood in her way. Unable to walk forward, Gwen was forced to come to yet another stop along her path.

George wasn't blind. He noticed how odd Oliver had been acting all of yesterday. And now Gwen was the same way. He knew she was the quiet type, but this was different. Something was wrong, and he wouldn't let her walk away without at least trying to help.

"What's going on? Are you okay?" He looked down at her, a questioning look in his eyes. Gwen could see it quite clearly as she met his gaze. And she wasn't sure of what it was, maybe if anyone else had asked she would have lied. But in this moment, here with George, she just snapped.