Chapter Forty Six

Gwen found herself walking through the halls of the castle, happy to have a free period after yet another somewhat uncomfortable DADA class

Gwen found herself walking through the halls of the castle, happy to have a free period after yet another somewhat uncomfortable DADA class. She knew a lot of people in the wizarding world had great amounts of respect for Alastor Moody, both of her fathers reassured her as much, but the man still unnerved her.

According to Nicholas, his interest in her could simply stem from the fact that he knew her parents and simply wanted to know if she were as good a wizard as they were, but it felt like more to Gwen. She couldn't be sure why. So, she simply told herself it was because she wasn't a fan of attention of any kind. She was just overreacting to that.

Still, overreacting or not, Gwen was happy to get away from the man. And happy to get some time to herself to finally do what she'd spent the weekend planning. She'd let them multiply, she'd let them spread around the castle like wildfire, and they did. So much so that she could see the blasted things wherever she looked as she made her way through crowds of students. And she intended to get her hands on one.

However, the sound of a 'Oooh'-ing crowd had her pausing in the halls and looking out to the courtyard where she easily spotted the cause for the noise. Brows furrowed, she abandoned the direction she was going in and made her way over to the edges of where a group of Hufflepuffs gathered together, watching the two champions converse after Harry had pulled Cedric to the side.

Curiously, she watched them talk from a distance, wondering what it may be about. She doubted Harry would go to Cedric about the badges, even if the Hufflepuff champion had tried to make people stop wearing them on multiple occasions now. Maybe it was something else Tournament related, something she didn't know yet. With the first task only a day away, it wouldn't be too surprising.

"Want a badge? Anyone want a badge? Remember Potter stinks!" A student walking by her with a box of badges that seemed to be floating around after a mass production weekend had Gwen quickly reaching for his shoulder.

"I'd like one please." She said, forcing a smile on her face as she took the badge the Slytherin boy handed her. Looking down at its face, she watched as the words twisted and warped, shifting from "Support Cedric" to "Potter stinks". And only rolled her eyes at the stupidity of it all, once she was sure the Slytherin could no longer see her.

"Come with me." A hand suddenly pulling on her arm had Gwen yelping in surprise but following after her friend no less. He dragged her over to one of the more abandoned corners of the courtyard, only then turning to look at her with the wide eyed look that seemed to be glued to his face. "Dragons. The first task is dragons." Cedric whispered in shock.

For a moment, Gwen was surprised by the revelation too, but the more it sunk in, the more it made sense. "Of course." She gasped out, smacking herself on the forehead as she realized she should have come to the conclusion sooner.

"I'm sorry... you say that as if it's the most obvious thing." Cedric's brows furrowed as he looked down at her.

"Well, it kind of is." She said. "Think about it, Charlie Weasley works at the dragon sanctuary in Romania, and now he's come for a visit. Not for Christmas, not for the holidays, just a random week in November? And why did the Weasleys invite you too? Because I'd tell you anyway." She quoted, pointing out all the little signs and clues that had been sitting in front of them already.