Chapter Thirty Nine

"In 1972 the champions had to try and capture a cockatrice

"In 1972 the champions had to try and capture a cockatrice."

"And one year also had a task with a chimaera."

"And in 1857, they had a Hippogriff race with obstacles and everything."

Harry and Gwen shared an amused look between themselves as they listened to Liv and Hermione continue to list off things they'd read in books and discovered about the past Triwizard Tournaments. Neither really minded the excessive information sharing. Both because they'd grown used to it from the two girls, and also, because as they waited in the Hogwarts courtyard, there wasn't much else to do.

"Oh, how great would it be if they include Hippogriffs again?" Liv paused on that one for a moment, a dreamy haze spreading over her face as she spoke. "Do you think Hagrid would be in charge of the creatures? If so, I'm sure he'd let me spend time with them."

"There have been times when they used the same creatures, but changed the goal of the task. So it's not impossible." Hermione told her friend with a thoughtful look on her face, probably already starting to imagine tasks which could use the creatures.

"If they do, maybe we can have our own race." Liv said with a happy smile. If one thing was clear, it would be that her experience of flying on a Hippogriff last year was one that she very much wanted to repeat.

"Race?"
"We're in."
"What are we racing on?"
"Brooms?"
"Dragons?"
"The Giant Squid?"

The stereo of voices appearing on both her sides had Gwen jumping in surprise before she turned to glare at the Weasley twins while Ron moved over to stand with the three of his friends. Gwen's reactions only had the twins laughing even more as they caught sight of her face.

"Hippogriffs." Liv said happily before fully turning to Harry and starting up a conversation about the idea of the race.

"Where's Oli?" Gwen turned to the twins after a couple of moments of scanning the crowd in search of her brother. However, with so many students massed together in the area, and more continuously arriving it was hard to spot anyone.

"Uh, somewhere around here. He went off with Rory and some of her mates." Fred announced, his own eyes looking around for their missing piece. However, before he had a chance to properly locate him, someone's excited call had the courtyard erupting with new excitement.

"What's that?!"

Eyes started to turn in all directions, no one really sure where the call had come from or where they should be looking. Gwen herself continued to scan the area around the castle in all possible directions. Until she felt a hand set on her shoulder, George craning down so he could point at something in the sky.

Gwen squinted her eyes in an attempt to figure out what the big black blob in the sky way. People around them were already yelling out theories. Some thinking the arriving party was coming by broom, others that it was a flying house. Whatever it was, it was moving fast, so it didn't take too long for the indistinguishable shadow in the sky to become clearer and clearer.