Chapter Six

Gwen walked down the corridors of the Hogwarts Express and while she was supposed to be patrolling and performing her Prefect duties, her mind seemed to be elsewhere completely

Gwen walked down the corridors of the Hogwarts Express and while she was supposed to be patrolling and performing her Prefect duties, her mind seemed to be elsewhere completely. While Oli and she had spent all of August at the Burrow with the Weasleys and Olivia, their mum, dad and papa had still come to the Platform 9 ¾ when the time came to send them off to Hogwarts for another school year.

It was the first time Gwen had seen her mum since the discovery she and Oliver came to that day at the Leaky Cauldron. One thing was exchanging letters which if she decided she didn't want to say something she could just throw away the paper. But this was different; seeing her mum face to face. A part of Gwen really wanted to ask her about Sirius Black, about how exactly he fit into her past. But another part of the young Hufflepuff knew that if Nadia had wanted her to know she would have told her. And so she didn't ask anything. She chose to spare her mum from having to answer questions which would most likely upset her. But of course, as a price she had her own unsettled mind to deal with.

Her thoughts continued to run wild, often distracting her from noticing the rowdy students occupying some of the compartments she passed by. Although Gwen liked to think that if she saw something that was too risky she would notice and snap out of her thoughts in time to stop it. However, her mind finally returned to reality as she spotted a couple of younger students, still clad in their everyday clothes running down the hall towards her.

"Hey, hey, hey! No running in the halls." She scolded them with a firm look, trying to muster up her best impersonation of Professor McGonagall. She knew she would never be able to reach the perfection of the scolding look that the Transfiguration Professor has mastered, but she knew coming just a tiny bit close would be enough to calm the younger students.

"Sorry, we're just really excited." One of the boys of the group apologized, his light brown eyes gazing at his shoes in embarrassment, similar to the one depicted on the faces of his other two friends. However, the excuse brought a small smile to Gwen's face as she kneeled down so he wouldn't have to look up at her as she spoke.

"And what has you so excited?" She asked with a smile, her change in demeanour seeming to lift their spirits once more as they quickly started to reply to her question.

"I can't wait for the feast!" The only girl of the three called out excitedly, continuing on to list some of the food she hoped would be served tonight.

"And to see our other friends from last year." The boy from before spoke again.

Their answers made Gwen assume she was dealing with second years. They seemed to young to be third years, and she knew most of the students in that year anyways, that paired with the fact they seemed to know what to expect and had already made friends 'last year' were the clues she decided to go on.

"Well I understand you're excited, but running on the train can be dangerous. Imagine if you have to spend your first night in the Hospital Wing because you were running when the train took a turn?" Gwen asked with a raised eyebrow, watching as realization flashed through their eyes.