Chapter Thirty Seven

Gwen's first week of classes was off to a terrible start

Gwen's first week of classes was off to a terrible start. The classes themselves, while already swarming her with a multitude of homework and studying, weren't the problem. For the first time since she stepped foot into the magical school of Hogwarts, she hated having to be there.

When the year first started, Gwen was hoping that the students had knocked themselves out with gossipping and whispering throughout the summer. When that turned out to be false, she chose to remain optimistic, believing that within a couple of days, people would get used to seeing her around the halls, and her family would no longer be such a big topic of discussion.

Her wishful thinking, however, was proving to be just that. Mere wishes, not a reality. People still looked at her with odd looks. People still whispered whenever she was around. Some made sure she could hear them. And a few even went as far as telling her what they thought right to her face. They all thought both she and Oliver should have been expelled and sent away from Hogwarts because of everything, because of their connection to their mother; Sirius Black's wife. Both wanted criminals.

So Gwen spent most of her time hiding. At first, she'd thought her dorm room would be a great place to escape. However, on the first night already she learned it wouldn't be that easy. Even her dormmates, while not outright being cruel to her, couldn't help themselves. So Gwen found hiding places in different corners of the castle. However, she couldn't hide forever.

She still had to attend classes. But she made sure to arrive as late as possible without landing herself, and by association her house, in trouble. The last thing she needed was for the Hufflepuffs to hate her because she was losing them house points.

On that particular day, Gwen made sure to come to her first class a bit earlier than usual. Simply because she wasn't sure how punctual their newest professor was. Gwen was curious to know how lessons with Professor Moody, who was a famed Auror, would go. She hoped that, perhaps this year, Dumbledore continued the selection of good DADA professors, just like last year.

Walking into the classroom, her eyes turned towards her usual desk only to find one half of it already occupied. If it were anyone else, she probably would have chosen one of the tables in the back that remained empty. But, instead, she couldn't help the small smile appearing on her face as she rushed over to the second empty seat.

"How is it that the three of us keep arriving to class before you?" George questioned once he noticed her slip down into the seat next to him. She noticed Oliver and Fred in the desk behind them leaning forward, both nodding their heads with suspicious eyes now focused on Gwen.

"Oh, come on, it's not always. And I'm just getting used to waking up early again." Gwen lied. Of course, she hadn't mentioned anything about what was happening to her brother.

People didn't do it to him, not after he made sure all of them woke up with blue, purple, or orange skin the morning after they'd try to. And Oliver believed because the students had stopped messing with him, they did the same with Gwen. And if she did tell him, he'd wreak havoc on the whole school. Gwen didn't want Oliver getting himself in trouble, and dragging Fred and George into it with him, because of some students whispering and making her uncomfortable.