Chapter Forty

Gwen found herself sitting in the Great Hall not long after her conversation with Harry

Gwen found herself sitting in the Great Hall not long after her conversation with Harry. And just as George had planned, instead of sitting at Hufflepuff table as she was supposed to, she found herself squished among the Gryffindors, the table full of chatter and excitement as everyone waited for the evening's festivities to begin.

And it didn't take too long after the Hall had filled up before the students started to quiet down once they noticed Dumbledore rising from his seat and coming to stand in front of the staff table. "Now that we've all settled," The headmaster's voice boomed through the room, silencing the last of the students who had yet to notice him. "Please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of Magic!"

With Dumbledore's words acting as a signal, Gwen assumed, a sudden music spread through the Great Hall as its large doors sprung open. All eyes turned to the group of girls, all clad in blue silks, they made their way down the aisles between the tables. Synchronised, quick steps paused on a few occasions as they fawned at the students unable to tear their eyes from them. Mostly the boys, of course.

"They should have adapted their uniforms. They're going to be cold in those silks." Gwen couldn't help but mutter out as she watched the procession go by, followed up by what she assumed was the headmistress of the French school. Madame Maxime, the Hufflepuff remembered her name, was certainly hard to miss as she towered over the tables while making her way to the front of the Great Hall where Dumbledore greeted her with a kiss on her hand. One he simply remained standing for due to her height.

Once the Beauxbaton's show finished, and the girls resumed to scatter around, taking empty seats at tables of all houses, the Hogwarts students all eagerly clapped and cheered, the voices of the boys largely tuning out any of the girls. Gwen had to do her best to keep back a small laugh as she noticed Hermione rolling her eyes at Ron's enthusiasm.

"And now," Dumbledore's voice sounded again once Madame Maxime had taken her seat amongst the Hogwarts staff. "Our friends from the north! Please greet the proud sons of Durmstrang and their headmaster, Igor Karkaroff!"

Once more, after Dumbledore's announcement, the doors sprung open, and a new kind of music began to play. This tune, much more intense, fit well with the male students of Durmstrang as they filed into the aisles, their staffs hitting against the floor in rhythm to the music as they walked.

However, once they reached the middle, halfway between the door and the front of the room, the group set off in a sprint, diverging around the front in a series of tricks and stunts as their headmaster began his own descent towards the staff table. He was flanked by two more students, one of whom elicited quite a cacophony of whispers and surprised gasps.

"Nothing wrong with their uniforms, I'd say." Angelina leaned over the table to whisper, eyes glancing to Gwen who let out a small laugh at the subtle comment and the, less-than subtle, way in which Angelina's eyes scanned over the Durmstrang students. Amused by the Gryffindor's bold observations, Gwen didn't even notice the look she was receiving from the Weasley sitting beside her, or the way his brother and best friend snickered at his reaction between themselves.