Chapter Sixty Nine

"What if they'd changed their mind? Or what if we lead someone to them? I mean, two groups going off in the same direction, following a dog? Someone could get suspicious

"What if they'd changed their mind? Or what if we lead someone to them? I mean, two groups going off in the same direction, following a dog? Someone could get suspicious. It could attract attention." Gwen rambled on and on as she walked along the streets of Hogsmeade, George by her side while Oli and Fred walked a little way ahead of them. "Maybe we shouldn't actually go. It would be safer if we didn't." She came to a stop behind the building of the magical repair shop by which the meeting place was.

"Gwen, your mum and Sirius know what they're doing, okay?" George asked, placing his hands on her shoulders so he could stop her nervous shuffling in spot. However, the comment earned him a somewhat dubious look as she waved her hands at their surroundings. "And I'm sure they have a good explanation for what they're doing here too. They wouldn't tell you to come, at least not now or on the same day, if they thought there was reason to worry."

"Weird things are always happening around this castle. And people are gossipy. And..." She trailed off for a moment, turning silent again as she hesitated on saying whatever else was on her mind. George gave her a questioning look, wondering what it might've been since he hadn't known her to hold back on pointing out all the things that could go wrong. "What if... What if she's disappointed in me?"

"Disappointed? In you?" George questioned in surprise, not really able to understand why that would be a worry. How it could even be a possibility. "Gwen, you're still excelling in your studies. Yes, perhaps you've added a few detentions to your record and broken a few rules, but really, it was worth it..." George trailed off for a moment before quickly starting to correct himself. "I mean, the gillyweed. It was worth it. You know. That part."

The nervous adjustments had Gwen letting out a small laugh as she looked up at him. "It was all pretty worth it if you ask me." Her words managed to draw a big smile to George's face, one that had her letting out a small laugh once again. Not that this one could last too long.

"Don't look at them like that. They don't like to talk about it." Ron's snickering voice had both George and Gwen looking beyond the building by which they stood, to the small stile where their meeting place was. Harry, Hermione, Olivia, and Ron could be seen following after large black dog, its fur matted and shaggy. Ron's comment earned him a glare from the both of them as they stepped apart, Gwen starting to head in Sirius' direction now that he was there.

"Hello." She smiled down at him, watching as he curiously sniffed around the bag on her shoulder. Unlike the first time she saw him in person last year, Gwen didn't feel as odd or awkward about it this time. Maybe it was all the letters that had been sent back and forth, or even just the knowledge that he was taking care of her mother in their absence and wasn't at all what she initially believed him to be, that made Gwen more relaxed around the man... currently in his dog form.

"Good luck with that climb." Liv breathed out as the four of them walked past Gwen and Oliver, starting to head back in the direction of the main streets at the centre of Hogsmeade as Sirius took charge of the second group meant to follow after him to the hiding place.

"We'll see you when you get back." Fred announced as he and George remained behind them. Gwen knew it was better they did so, because if the two weren't caught in their usual haunting of Zonko's then everyone would certainly know they were up to something. But that didn't mean that, as they began to follow Sirius further into the countryside beneath the mountains surrounding Hogwarts, a part of her didn't wish they could come along as well.

They didn't stop at any point as they crossed the clearings and meadows, and it wasn't long before both Oli and Gwen began to realize what Liv had meant when wishing them luck. It was easy for Sirius, climbing along with four paws to use. However, at multiple points, Oliver and Gwen had to do their best to keep up, helping each other up over boulders and rocks until finally, all the way up on the mountain, Sirius disappeared from sight.

For a moment, Oli and Gwen froze, unsure of where he'd gone as they'd been too busy making sure they watched the floor beneath their feet so they wouldn't break their necks. Luckily, the head of the black dog peeked out at them again, not even a few steps further. And once they covered the distance, only then did the two siblings realize he'd disappeared through a crack in the rocks.

While still needing to squeeze in and duck as they followed, the narrow path didn't stretch on for too long before Gwen and Oli stepped out into a wider space again. Curious eyes looked around at the dimly lit cave, cold air still nipping at their cheeks and nose. It wasn't long before their eyes were drawn to the other end of the cave, not by the Hippogriff that stood there, but rather the woman gently scratching his nose.

"Honey we're home." Sirius' voice called out as he turned back into his human form, the words making Nadia snap to attention as she turned on her heel, her eyes quickly falling on the two teenagers standing at the entrance to the cave. A myriad of emotions passed over her face in the short second during which she simply stood there before finally regaining control of her limbs and rushing forward.

"Oh, look at you two! I've missed you so, so much." Nadia said in an emotional voice as she wrapped her arms around both of their shoulders, pulling them into a tight embrace which they happily returned.

"We missed you too, mum." Oliver was the first to speak up and respond to her, his arms squeezing around her one last time before the trio began to separate. "And so did Gwen, despite whatever she might say once she's past the silent phase."

"What do you-" While Sirius began to question what the boy could have meant by that, he never got to finish the question before he was interrupted.

"Are you two bloody insane?!" Gwen reacted to seeing them much in the same manner as she had to the information of them being back in the country in the first place. And while Sirius seemed surprised by the outburst, all Nadia did was share a knowing look with her son.

"Gwennie, sweetie, we can explain everything." Nadia started to reassure her daughter, wrapping an arm around her shoulders as she began to lead her further into the cave. "I understand we both have a lot to share and catch up on."

Behind them, Sirius watched the scene as he began to understand. And he couldn't help but chuckle as he did. "Like mother, like daughter, I suppose." He muttered out to himself only to be overheard by the boy who remained back close by.

"Worse."