Chapter Thirty Six

"I can't promise this will protect us

"I can't promise this will protect us." Cedric announced as he craned his neck and glanced up at the sky above their heads. The carriage was slowly rolling to a stop, and the Hufflepuff boy was preparing his cloak to use as protection from the pouring rain once they had to abandon the safety of the carriage.

"Oh stop being so dramatic, it's just a bit of rain." Gwen pointed out with an amused smile on her face. However, soon the sky decided to challenge and a sharp flash of lightning was quickly followed by rumbling thunder. "And lightning and thunder."

"Are you saying you don't want me to shield you with my cloak?" Cedric raised his eyebrow, making Gwen's smile turn into a glare rather quickly. Especially since the carriage chose to stop right in that moment, as if it too supported Cedric over her.

"Did I say that, Diggory?"

"Okay, come on, on the count of three." Cedric announced, moving around so his cloak was now covering both their heads as they got ready to jump out of the carriage and make a run for it. But as Cedric started the countdown, he never managed to get to three before their path was blocked.

"Scared of some rain?"
"Then what's waiting inside..."
"Will be terrifying."

"Would you three stop being creepy?" Gwen rolled her eyes at her brother and his two best friends. Sometimes she really did wonder whether Oliver was a long lost Weasley considering how in sync the three could be.

"Hold on, what's inside? What did you three do?" Cedric questioned with a raised eyebrow, weary eyes glancing towards the door of the school.

"We did nothing." Fred quickly defended.

"We just gave someone an idea." Oliver added on with a nod.

Looking towards the open doors, it didn't take long for Gwen and Cedric to catch on to what they two were suggesting as they watched a group of Ravenclaws rush inside, finally put away their cloaks and bags which protected them from the rain, only to be splashed with water balloons. Peeves, of course.

"If you want to escape, you have to run!" Oliver exclaimed after which the trio proceeded to abandon the Hufflepuffs at their carriage, running into the school, happy once they were sure they've evaded Peeves' attack.

"Gwen... I'm not eating dinner in soaking wet robes." Cedric announced, sending her a look that seemed both playful and apologetic.

"You do realize we could just-" She started to say, but was silenced within moments as Cedric's exclamation interrupted her.

"It's every man for himself!"

And the brunette was left in the carriage, watching her friend jump out and run for the door as if he were in the middle of a battlefield. She shook her head at the dramatics, especially as she watched him walk through the doors of the school only for a large and heavy balloon to smash right on top of his head.