Chapter Fifty Nine

Gwen laughed, and she laughed and laughed

Gwen laughed, and she laughed and laughed. Every time George suddenly twirled her or dipped her, or even made her laugh on purpose by performing a dance move which made him look quite odd. The whole night was filled with fun and laughter. And it was one of the best nights she'd ever had so far.

"Don't think I'm forgetting you played dirty." She announced as the two of them finally agreed to give all their dancing a short break. Out of breath and with wide smiles impossible to erase from their faces, George led her away from the dancing crowd as they all stood rather still in the pause between songs.

"What? When?" George questioned once he was by her side again, hand still remaining at her lower back as he led them over to some of the tables with free seats. Now, oftentimes, he'd smile and admit to it, but in that moment he really wasn't sure what it was she was referring to.

"If you do get asked, you have to save me a dance. Do you agree to my terms, Gwen Bennett Song?" She quoted his words as she took a seat at one of the tables, reminding him of when they'd made their bet during McGonagall's dance lesson.

However, not at any point did the thought of him asking her for the sake of the bet cross Gwen's mind, the realization of which came as somewhat of a surprise to her. On an ordinary day, it would have been one of her first.

She watched as the confused expression on George's face was now replaced with a wide smile. "I had to make sure you'd dance with me if someone beat me to it. So, I could steal you away from your date." She'd expected a funny remark or a non-genuine apology. Instead, his words had her staring up at him with a surprised look on her face. And whether he was able to read into it, George didn't reveal, instead he soon changed the topic. "I'll go get us some drinks."

With surprise still in her eyes, Gwen watched him go, mind running a mile a minute. Did he really plan for everything just so he could snag even a few moments of her time during the Ball? Or was she simply misreading and overthinking? That had to be it, right?

Shaking her head in an attempt to make the thoughts evaporate before they consumed her mind and made her nervous again, she let her eyes roam the beautifully decorated Great Hall again. Everything was Christmas and winter themed with Christmas trees stored in multiple corners of the Hall while everything else seemed to be covered in ice and snow. The enchanted ceiling sprinkled snowflakes down, stars shining along with the full moon.

It wasn't long before her roaming eyes caught sight of the two boys sitting at the fountain in the middle, shoulders hunched and expressions disappointed more than anything. Curiously, she rose from her seat and made her way over. "What's got you two looking so down?" She asked as she plopped down into the empty space between them.

"Our dates ditched us." Ron announced in a glum tone, making Gwen's eyes look towards the Patil twins who were now happily dancing with some Durmstrang boys. However, when she turned back to the Weasley, she soon realized that wasn't at all what he was focused on. It was another couple he seemed to be watching, Viktor twirling Hermione around the dance floor as she laughed.