Chapter Sixty Seven

"Okay, you have your wand

"Okay, you have your wand. You have your... Ugh, I can't believe Neville didn't mention the saltwater vs fresh water debate." Gwen grumbled out as she stood by Harry's side the next morning. All of Hogwarts had gathered along the platforms which had been set up on the Black Lake.

"Either way, thank you. For getting it." Harry said with a small smile, glancing down at the disgusting plant that was now safely stored in his hand as he waited for the start of the second task. "Still not going to tell me how you did it?"

"Nope." Gwen announced, trying her best to keep in a small smile as her eyes turned back to the final boats making their way to the platforms. On them she could not only see but also hear her brother and the twins calling out to the crowd about their bets and last chances. As she went to look back to Harry, her eyes caught sight of someone else standing on the platform. "You. Here. Now." She instructed quickly.

"Here we go. And I was hoping you'd direct it all at Harry today." Cedric grumbled out as he came to stand beside the Gryffindor in front of Gwen, the Potter sending him a surprised look at the revelation this was Gwen's usual state when worried.

"Wand at the ready?" Gwen questioned the Diggory, ignoring his little jab and waiting for the small nod he gave her in confirmation. "Minds clear? Both of you?" Again, both boys nodded their heads. However, Gwen didn't miss the glance they sent to the boats, eyes searching through the faces of the students on them. Not that she could blame them for it, she kept looking too.

"Is she always like this when she's nervous?" Harry whispered to Cedric in a questioning tone.

"Yup. Scary, isn't she?"

"Nope! No. Neither of you get to make fun of me. I'm helping. I'm helpful. I've been helpful so far." Gwen pointed a threatening finger at the two as she spoke. "And if you make that help mean nothing by getting hurt down there, just remember... I'll hurt you even more once you're back."

"Not just scary... terrifying." Harry muttered out, but he ended up being louder than he intended, if the glare Gwen sent him was anything to go by.

"Don't make me push you in early, Potter." She threatened and the voice which accompanied the words made Harry believe she'd actually do it.

"No need for that, Miss Song." The sound of their headmaster speaking up from nearby had all three of them turning to the judging panel who all stood together now, other champions at their sides, both sporting rather amused expressions as they'd clearly been listening in to the conversation. "Mr Diggory, Mr Potter, if you could join us. The second task is about to start any moment."

"Okay, okay. Good luck." Gwen said, pulling Cedric into a second long hug before she repeated the same thing with Harry. "And be safe. And please just... stay alive."

"Encouraging." Cedric muttered to her as he and Harry finally moved along and went to stand with everyone else at the front of the platform while Gwen moved off to the side to give the champions and judges alike some space.