Chapter Sixty Eight

Gwen, ready for some peace and quiet which was rather hard to come by in the halls of the castle, found herself walking down one of the emptier corridors as she headed for the door of the abandoned classroom

Gwen, ready for some peace and quiet which was rather hard to come by in the halls of the castle, found herself walking down one of the emptier corridors as she headed for the door of the abandoned classroom. However, once she reached it, and pushed it open without hesitation, she was somewhat surprised to find the room already occupied. Not that she should've been considering she wasn't the only one who knew and frequently used the room.

"Hi." She greeted George with a smile as he looked up at her. "Sorry for barging in, I didn't think you'd be here. If you want to be alone, I can leave." She offered in a friendly tone. Her need for some peace and quiet wasn't much of a desperate one. Just one in which she was rather eager to get away from all those commenting on Rita Skeeter's newest article.

"No, no, you can stay. I was just working on something." George announced, and Gwen didn't miss the way in which he started to cover up the papers he'd set out on the table in front of him before her arrival.

"What are you working on?" She asked curiously, closing the door behind her before making her way to sit in the chair in front of his table. She turned it around so they'd technically be sitting at the same one instead of as if they were in class and good behaving students.

"Oh, nothing important." George shook his head dismissively. Gwen wasn't sure when her ability to tell if George was lying had kicked in. Maybe he'd always been a terrible liar and she's only noticed now that she knew him better. Either way, she knew in that moment too, that he was lying. "Just a little project. Don't want to get anyone's hopes up too much."

"Hopes up?" Gwen couldn't hold back a small tint of curiosity from her tone. Perhaps she'd pulled a prank or two and organised a heist since the beginning of their sixth year, but she suspected she wasn't among those who George would consider as able to get their hopes up about some new prank product. And yet still, he wouldn't tell her.

"It's not working anyways. No matter what I try." George said, slipping something into his pocket that made Gwen send him a rather suspicious look.

"George... If you nicked those from Harry-"

"No!" George said quickly, not even regretting his lack of subtlety as he pulled the glasses back out. "These are squared, see? Harry's are circles." He pointed out. "We never prank Harry anyways. So, no need to worry." He said before noticing the still less than impressed look on her face. "Nor did I take them from any other student who needs them. It's a pair of my mum's old ones."

"Why do you need your mum's old glasses?" Gwen asked as she plucked them out of his hands as he extended them to her. Curious to see what he was doing with them, she started to unfold them so she could put them on. However, for a moment she hesitated. "They won't make my eyes bug out like a tarsier's?"

"I don't know what that is, but they won't make your eyes bug out either way." George said with a small laugh, watching her as she put them on slowly and carefully, still not entirely convinced.