Chapter Fifty Four

"Prefects are the ones supposed to be handing out the detentions, not getting them, Miss Song

"Prefects are the ones supposed to be handing out the detentions, not getting them, Miss Song." Professor Sprout spoke in a scolding tone as the two women stood together in the greenhouses. "And it's highly unlike you. If there's anything troubling you, you can always talk to me about it. You know that."

"I know professor Sprout. Honestly, we just lost track of time. Professor Moody, well, I think we caught him on a bad day." Gwen said, downplaying the whole ordeal of how she got detention. Because she knew Professor Sprout would be more than angry at the unfairness behind it. And Gwen didn't want to risk landing Cedric in trouble or landing herself even further on Moody's bad side.

"If you say so." The Professor hummed before pulling out her wand and waving it through the air. "At least you got lucky and get to serve it with me. I've got something very fun planned for tonight." Soon enough, the woman's tone shifted to one of pure excitement as empty pots started to land down on the large table in front of Gwen.

"Repotting plants?" Gwen couldn't control the small tinge of doubt that laced her question as large bags of soil appeared on the other end of the table as well.

"Well, when you say it like that it doesn't sound that fun. But it's all in the plant, Miss Song. It's all in the plant." Professor Sprout said excitedly as she came to stand in front of one of the shelves, its surfaces covered with a multitude of small pots holding small flowers of various shades of purple, pink, and orange. "These are Glowing Sunsets, Miss Song. They finally bloomed last night, and once they do you're supposed to put them in a bigger pot, so their roots have more space to grow."

Gwen looked at the flowers, noting that they reminded her of simple lilacs by their shape, but she'd heard the name Professor Sprout used and knew they weren't just as ordinary. "So, all of them need new pots?" She asked curiously. There were about a dozen individual flowers on the shelf. Maybe a few more.

"Yes, yes. Now... You were supposed to have some additional help since I do have a staff meeting to get to, but..." Professor Sprout spoke in a low mumble, eyes turning to the clock hanging on the wall. "It would seem your detention companion has decided there are better things to do."

"Worry not, Pomona. I'm the one who kept him." The sound of Professor McGonagall's voice had both Gwen and her head of house turning to the door as two figures passed through it. "Mr Weasley needed to be made aware of just how many detentions he's accumulated in the span of a single semester, but now he is all yours."

"Ah, good, good. Welcome, George." Professor Sprout eagerly led the Gryffindor over to the table where Gwen stood, sending him a questioning look as she didn't know it was him of all people who was meant to be joining her. "Now, Gwen will catch you up on what your task is. I trust you both remember everything I've taught you about repotting?"

"If we don't, does that mean we get to leave? Wouldn't want to ruin the plants?" George asked the question before Gwen could simply confirm that the professor's assumption was correct.