Chapter Thirty

Gwen wasn't sure what exactly she was expecting when their dads said there was someone waiting for them at home

Gwen wasn't sure what exactly she was expecting when their dads said there was someone waiting for them at home. During the drive back to the house, she thought it over in her head. There were many options really. Uncle Remus and Aunt Millie maybe? However, she'd just seen Uncle Remus shortly before departing on the train, Oli spending the majority of that time complaining about the professor's unjust dismissal.

Aunt Marlene could be back home again from one of her travels. Gwen suspected Marlene would come as soon as she'd heard about what happened. And the same could be said for Grandpa Konstantin. And so while her grandpa was expected, what Gwen did not expect to see was the animals lounging around in their living room.

"Oh good Godric!" Oliver was the first to walk into the space, jumping back and slamming into Gwen in surprise. His own sudden actions made one of the animals jump to its feet, at first growling at the intrusion until it became clear who walked in.

"It's just the kids, son." Gwen's eyes turned towards her grandpa curiously, wondering about the odd name for a dog, especially one that seemed to be quite feral looking and joined at the hip with a wolf. Only when the thought ran through her mind, did Gwen remember, her eyes snapping back to the wolf.

"Mum?" It was Oli who first spoke though, the small crack in his voice easily noticed as his tough act finally cracked and he rushed into the arms of their mother once she turned from wolf to human.

Just as her brother, it didn't take long for Gwen to find herself joining their hug, clutching on to her mother. At the same time she was both happy and sad, sadder than she'd been the last few days. She could feel the tears slip out of her eyes as the three held on to each other. Oliver was the first to pull out of the hug, doing it in such a fast motion that it forced both Gwen and Nadia to separate as well.

"What are you doing here? What if you get caught?" He questioned in a worried manner. And while Oliver remained completely focused on their mother, Gwen couldn't stop from turning her eyes towards the man standing next to their grandfather.

Brown met grey, and for a moment, a tense silence ensued between them until he broke it, quite awkwardly too. "Hello." Sirius wasn't really sure on what to say. He could see the hesitance in Gwen's eyes making him unsure on how to proceed while all he really wanted to do was hug her. He remembered the little girl that would spend so much time with them all those years ago, a part of him couldn't even believe this was her now.

"I remember you." Gwen suddenly said, her words catching the attention of all and making them turn their attention to the two. Nadia watched them hopefully, wishing that now that Gwen knew the whole truth, she wouldn't be angry or scared of Sirius. "I didn't realize it before, but I do..."

Whenever she looked at the pictures in the paper, all Gwen saw was a disheveled man, scary in appearance and completely different from how he looked now that he'd had a chance to somewhat clean himself up. She remembered a scene from her childhood, a younger version of the man now standing in front of her playing with her.