Chapter Forty Five

If there was one thing Gwen appreciated about cold weather it was that one could walk around the streets of Hogsmeade with a hood obscuring their face without ever seeming suspicious or fishy

If there was one thing Gwen appreciated about cold weather it was that one could walk around the streets of Hogsmeade with a hood obscuring their face without ever seeming suspicious or fishy. She just looked like she was cold. And so, no one paid attention to her.

No one paid attention to her as she moved through the crowds of Hogwarts students, the streets of the small town which were now packed more so than usual as the Durmstrang and Beauxbatons students joined in on the first Hogsmeade trip of the school year.

And most importantly, no one paid attention to the odd sight of her dipping into a store that she'd never before gone into. She had thirty minutes before she was supposed to meet Cedric and Aurora at The Three Broomsticks. She used the time the two eagerly suggested going to the local quidditch supplies shop to snag some time in the village on her own. Just what she needed.

And thanks to some research, she also knew what she needed for this particular store. Meaning she wouldn't have to hang around it for too long. With determined steps, she moved over to one specific section of the store, eyes starting to scan the shelves. "Exploding quills, exploding candy, fireworks, no, no, no, no... Hah!" She was happy to find exactly what she needed and, grabbing a single box, she was quick to make her way to the register.

She had to wait a few minutes as the line moved along, students in front of her buying all kinds of products and candies before it was finally her turn. Placing the box in front of the store owner, Gwen fished through her pockets for the correct amount of money as the numbers displayed in front of her.

And just as she extended her hand to pay, someone suddenly placed a large number of items and products right next to the small bag in which her own purchase was packed away. "Not cutting the line, just leaving these here while we pick up a few more things." She heard the familiar voice speak up right next to her, catching a flash of ginger hair from the corner of her eye.

And she was quite relieved as it disappeared soon after. Thinking she was free and clear; Gwen said a final thanks to the man in front of her before grabbing her bag and turning around. She walked along, ready to make her way out of the store. However, the thing with hiding your own face was that it made visibility slightly limited. So, it came as quite the surprise to Gwen when she spotted a pair of shoes standing right in her path, too late to stop herself from walking right into the person blocking her path.

"Well, well, well... Of all the places to meet, this wasn't one I was expecting, Song." Knowing she was caught, Gwen was left with no choice but to look up at the Weasley smiling down at her. "Now, what might you be doing in a shop like Zonko's?"

"I was buying sugar quills. I ran out." She said simply. And perhaps, on any other occasion, he would have believed it. But not this time.

"Really? Because Oli mentioned you asked him to buy some when we come here?" George continued the interrogation, looking down at her with a highly inquisitive look in his eyes. "They're right over there." He added, pointing back to the pile he'd stashed with Zonko for safekeeping.