Chapter Forty Nine

The longest it took Gwen was getting through the aisle filled people in their seats

The longest it took Gwen was getting through the aisle filled people in their seats. But once she reached the stairs of the bleachers and clearer space, it didn't take much for her quick steps to finally reach the tent that she'd seen their head of house drag Cedric into after his task. "Ced? Where are you?" She called out into the space as she opened its flaps and entered.

"Back here!" Came the call of his familiar voice, Gwen quick to move in it's direction until she noticed a somewhat cordoned off area, four beds set up in case all of the champions needed one. Cedric occupied one of them while Madam Pomfrey examined the burns on his face.

"This is absolute lunacy, I tell you!" Gwen could hear the Hogwarts healer grumbling about as she stood by the side of the bed. "Did you know those dragon keepers in Romania go through a year long training programme before they're allowed to actually fully interact with those beasts? Who in their right mind thinks it's okay to thrust them upon seventeen-year-olds?"

"Is he going to be okay? How are you feeling? Does it hurt too badly?" Gwen waited for the woman to take a short pause, not wanting to be rude and interrupt her, but once she was free to speak, all the questions came pouring out in a stream.

"I'm fine Gwen, really. You didn't have to stop watching and come." Cedric reassured her as she took a seat on the edge of the bed he sat in while Madam Pomfrey went off in search of some supplies she'd need to tend to the burns on his face. "It's worse than it looks."

"I wanted to come. I got worried." She said in a pointed tone.

"Well, it's as I told you. All turned out fine." Cedric smiled up at her, although the look didn't remain on his face for too long before he let out a small hiss at the pain it caused in his cheek.

"Fine, indeed." Madam Pomfrey's sarcasm as she re-joined them echoed that which Gwen was hearing in her own head. "Now Mr Diggory, this might sting a little, but the end will justify the means." The healer announced as she stirred an orange paste in one of her pots.

"And when it's done, I get to move around again?" Cedric asked hopefully.

"Where is it that you have to be exactly?" The woman fixed him with a suspicious look in her eyes that made Cedric point to where the tournament was being held, Ludo Bagman's commentary of Fleur's successes and failures still loud enough to keep them updated on what was happening.

"There is a tournament going on."

"Fine, fine. But now let me work. The sooner I'm done, the sooner you can go and watch." The woman instructed, Gwen letting out a small chuckle as Cedric happily turned his cheek for her to apply the paste. "And keep quiet, talking moves your face, and moving means it lasts longer."

Both Cedric and Gwen obeyed, patiently waiting as Madam Pomfrey did her work while they listened as Fleur's own ordeal with the Green Welsh came to its end. While Bagman didn't announce how many points exactly she'd received, he did say that whatever the amount, it put her in second place behind Cedric for now. And by the time the third champion, Viktor Krum, was ready to begin his own challenge, Madam Pomfrey had finally announced she was finished.