Brotherhood- New Kid

A year after Esppurr Markus ran away, he traveled over the ocean. His parents never revealed his identity or that he went missing, so he could move about freely and focus on himself.

Lao Shen stretched on miles and miles longer and wider than Valor. After reaching one of the country's many harbors, he traveled further inland for no particular reason. He always knew some basic survival for the wilderness, but he started to improve rapidly.

Markus crossed over an empty mountain range and happened upon Lao Shen's capital; a coastal city unlike anywhere else in the world. It was designed as a castle the size of a small city. Its white and red walls with curved tops stretched around its whole exterior. It lacked Valor's skyscrapers and opted for low, two-story buildings with tight streets where anything could happen. Lao Shen's emphasis on family life didn't hold as much sway. The city's primary export: weapons like wands, orbs, and steelwork that fueled small political fires scattered across the globe. That was how Espurr Markus saw it from Valor Castle.

But, Markus had still not seen the inside of the capital for himself. With nothing else to do around the woods, he decided to.

The moon rose in the sky and illuminated the city's tall, stonewall paces in front of him. He approached a strong light coming from round the nearest corner.

A smaller than expected, cylindrical tunnel led into a brick and stone street. From around a tree, Espurr Markus walked forward. Two Politoeds stood guard, each leaning against the wall until he revealed himself. Unaware of the rules of entry, he stopped in front of them.

"Need something?" the right Politoed asked.

"I'm not from here," Markus said, "so I was just wondering about... uhm, entering."

"No weapons is the only rule," he said, "but you don't even have a bag on you. You good, kid?"

"Yah. Was just wondering."

"All the way from Valor?" Politoed observed. "Interesting pick of a place for a runaway. If you want, I can show you how to get on your feet here real quick. I haven't done my good deed of the week yet."

"Uhm, what are you trying to show me?" he asked.

"Good streets for work, and I'll buy you a bag at least. You look like you could use a hand."

"Okay..."

"Alright. Be back in ten, Jeff."

Markus followed Politoed into the sea of lights. His eyes had to adjust.

The buildings roofs were curved and red, and mainly made of wooden posts and beams. They had timber framework with artistic designs with mostly red and brown colors.

Markus heard that the walls of the houses didn't take the weight from the buildings, unlike anywhere else in the world. The beams, lintels, and joists supported the buildings instead. Although Valor, Verity, and Acuity were older, Lao Shen came second as one of the oldest nations in the world. Lamps that had been used for centuries along with electrical lights shined onto the streets.

Young adults crowded the streets at night. Markus wasn't out of place, but some parts of his accent would give away he was Valorian. He stayed silent while the Politoed led them.

"What kind of work are you looking for?" Politoed asked.

"Well, maybe something like your job," Markus said. "I think I could do well in law enforcement, if it's allowed."

"Oh, it's allowed alright. But being police is a dangerous job around here."

"Sounds cool."

"It makes them super desperate for more help, so you shouldn't need anything," he said. "I'll take you to the station and they should give you stuff, but don't blame me for anything else."