Guildmaster- Blooming Brutality

Visible dust particles floated in the air when light pouring through stained glass hit the air. A Vigoroth wrote on a green chalkboard in front of a classroom. In the back, Ralts Bao daydreamed and spaced out. Her other classmates in front of her sat on similar, brown cushions that felt gritty enough to keep them uncomfortable and attentive.

"Now then," Vigoroth said, turning forward. "Can anyone tell me the story of Nǚxìng? It's not on the test, but I'm curious if anyone remembers from last week."

No one raised their limbs to signify they knew. Bao checked over the room a few times before conceding and raising her arm.

"Ah, Bao," Vigoroth said. "Stand."

Bao stood up and answered, "There was once a woman whose husband killed their daughter. They say she created this monastery in order to help others like herself, and the husband was the reason no men are allowed in Nǚxìng."

Vigoroth sighed. "That's the short version of it. But well done, nonetheless."

Bao sat down. She knew the whole story, but she didn't like it having to be the one to recite it.

"Now class," Vigoroth said, "I understand there's 'no reason' to learn this since it won't be on the test, but you can't let the top student shoulder the burden all the time. We want great things from all of you here. And to do that, we need you to-"

________________________________________________________________________________

"Do as you're told," Kirlia Bao recited under her breath.

"Hm?"

Wind pushed and pulled at green leaves overhead. Bao's eyes clicked back up onto the black pavement under her feet and a clear blue sky. Shaymin Mei looked up at her eyes with a studious face.

"Oh, nothing," Bao said. "I just used to... Be in the monastery myself. I haven't gone in a while."

"Not pleasant?" Mei asked.

Bao didn't appreciate Mei being so observant all of the time. It felt like a snake's glare, sizing up its prey.

"With all due respect," she said, "it doesn't concern you."

"Might as well have just said yes."

Bao turned her attention back and away from Mei's eyes. As usual, Flareon Light and Sky Shaymin Ariel walked so close together that a knife couldn't cut them apart. His puffy, gray tail seemed even bigger than it had been yesterday. Ariel might have been walking slow to keep it from tripping her up.

Her mother always underestimated how much Bao actually talked to boys. She had plenty of friends that were boys online. She froze up at first meeting one in person, but then she noticed a few trends that made it all easier. Light acted more lady-like than any of them. Even walking, his paws rolled off the ground as if he'd practiced. Any fear she might have had from him vanished not long after she first saw him.

Mei, on the other hand, continually showed that she had no boundaries. Since Light and Ariel were too busy admiring each other, Bao had to deal with it.

"What kind of pressure is it?" Mei asked. "I mean, there's so many years of tradition, it must feel like a large weight to carry."

"I think you can imagine what that feels like on your own," Bao said.

"Nǚxìng Monastery is actually older than Lao Shen."

"Sounds like you know enough already. Why are you asking me about it?"

"Lots of success stories come from here," Shaymin Mei answered, smiling. "I want to incorporate things that work, but clearly, something is very wrong with the place."