Chapter Ten - The Browns

Sunlight creeps through the blinds of Kira's room. As the sun continued to rise, the more the beams brightened on the bed till finally crossing her face, waking her up. Her eyes fluttered open and looked over to her nightstand to her clock. It was pretty early.

She pushed the comforter off and stretched. Slipping out of bed, she went to go get herself together. Dressing in a simple pair of jeans and a blouse with flats. She styled her hair into a natural puff of curls before taking care of other things. Once she was completely done, her father chose the perfect moment to knock on her door.

"Come in."

The door opened and her father sent her a smile. "Morning, Kira."

"Good morning, Dad." She looked down into his hand to find an envelope with her name on it. "What's that?"

Ben looked down, shrugging. "I don't know. It was in the mailbox." He handed over the envelope.

She opened it up and pulled out what was inside. Her brows furrowed together when she saw the plane ticket. A plane ticket to Phoenix, Arizona. First Class today at noon.

"You're going somewhere?"

Her eyes lifted. "I didn't think so." She walked over to her dresser, grabbing her phone.

"Breakfast is ready if you're hungry." Her father said, walking out of her room to give her privacy for the call she was about to make.

It didn't take long for her to find his name and dial. After the fourth ring, he answered and Kira didn't hesitate to speak up first.

"Why did you send me a plane ticket for today?"

"Good morning to you too, Kira." His voice was raspy, sleepy.

"I am being serious, Giovanni. Why did you send me this ticket?"

She heard his tired sigh and shifting. "My mother is having a family dinner to go over party events in a couple of months. I think it's the best timing to introduce you to my family."

"B-But today? I am not prepared. I don't even know what to say. What are you going to introduce me as?"

"As my fiance."

Kira inhaled sharply. "How is that going to work out? What about the few weeks we're supposed to wait to come out."

"That is towards the media. The sooner my parents know, the better. Just relax, Kira. They will love you."

He made it convincing but she didn't believe it. She's never been introduced to a potential significant other's parents before. Especially to wealthy ones.

"Alright, but don't do this again. I hate being caught off guard and it's too early."

She heard him chuckle through the line. The sound was sweet to her ears.

"Won't happen again."

"Do I need to bring a bag of clothes or am I returning tonight?"

"Depends on how well this dinner goes. I would bring a night's stay just in case. My house is not that far if you need to stay somewhere tonight."

Kira tapped her foot nervously. I will bring money for a night's stay at a hotel."

"I wouldn't mind. I have more than enough room for you to stay one night. Free of charge."

"I don't know." She crossed an arm around her back. "I can just pay for a night at one of-"

"I don't take no for an answer." He mused. "Besides, my home will soon be your home. Why not get used to it now, right?"