Chapter Two - Unexpected

"Have a nice day, Chelsea." Kira smiled at one of her regulars.

"You too, Kira. Tell your father I said hello and thank you for helping me with that rattling noise in my basement." The woman smiled before leaving out the bakery with her delicious lemon cake.

Inhaling, then exhaling softly, Kira looked around the bakery with a lovely smile. Her mother would be so proud of how far her bakery has come. Kira's smile widens just at recalling how her mother started this bakery in the beginning. Kira was only but a babe when her mother started planning to own her bakery one day. She didn't start looking for a place until Kira was six. But when the bakery was a positive influence on the community, Kena Sanders, Kira's mother, had taken on a deadly illness that resulted in her passing and leaving the entire family broken. Especially Ben Sanders, Kira's father and husband to Kena.

Now, Kira can only imagine what her mother would think now if she was here. Everything was like she dreamed it to be.

It was getting late and reaching closing time. A few more customers swamped in just in time to make last-minute purchases. Flipping the sign from open to close, she locked the door and walked to the back.

The sound of papers shuffling caught her ears, causing her to smile, shaking her head. Ben was still here after the many commands to go home and rest but he had other plans. She paused at the door of the office and knocked before pushing it open. The sight of her father working hard made her happy. He loved this bakery as much as she did, and she knew that he'd do anything to keep my mother's dreams alive.

"Dad," She gained his attention, walking further inside the office. His gaze lifted, finding her eyes, and she saw how tired he was. "You were supposed to have been gone home and get some sleep. I can finish up the paperwork."

"It's okay, sweetie. I had to fill out some documents. Hopefully manage a few more of these bills." He replied, stress apparent in his tone.

The smile on her lips slipped a bit, and she walked closer. She reached over and grabbed a random paper, a bill. Indeed, it was, and it was not pleasant, and this was just the water bill. It was high and what caused a sudden intense worry from her was the bold ink of this paper being a notice of importance. Overdue correction notice. Aware of her father witnessing her confused and displeased expression, he tried to collect all the documents that were billed.

"A correction notice, dad?" She asked, thinking and trying to understand how the water bill went sky-high. And not just a month. This was a late bill, dated about six months ago. "This bill is six months overdue. What happened?"

"A slight error, Kira. I'm calling them tomorrow morning." He placed the last piece of the puzzle with the other bills. He folded them together and placed them in his drawer. "There's nothing to worry about, sweetie. Shall we go home, now?"

Her gaze moved from the paper to her father and he tried to hide what he truly felt behind a smile, but she could see right through it. Sighing, she would not push the matter further today, but she made it clear in her expression that this is far from over.

"Yes," She nods. "Also, Chelsea was here earlier today. She says 'thank you."

The familiar lovey dove smile on his face was wide. She couldn't help the chuckle that slipped past her lips. Her father had a small crush on Chelsea. The feelings were both sided. Kira made small, innocent attempts to push them together, though it was not her right. But the one thing that made Kira happy was seeing her father happy. A little nosy by easing information with small talk to know their current status. They're just convincing the world that he and Chelsea were just friends, which was unbelievable to her.

If they were to take the next step, she would be happy for them. The look he'd given to Chelsea had only happened one time in his life, and that was with her mother. It's been seven years since her mother passed away and she thought it would be good for him to find love once again. Just the thought made her smile. Her mother was a beautiful woman, and she was wise. She loved her father with her heart. Her father deserved to be happy. Kira knew her mother would want him to be happy.